Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, don't kill me but, I like riding wheelers ALOT and I road a dirtbike awhile back. It was very fun, from what I remeber, so I got a question. Why not ride a bike? They are cheaper (sometimes), faster, quicker, easier to work on, and can fit in between tress and stuff to REALLY go off the beatin path (for us woodsmen). So, that is my question, do I not prove a good point?

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a yz 250 as well as my rappy and i ride my rappy when i get lazy and dont want to mix gas of dont want to jump shit. Plus its easier to ride a quad and it dosnt make you as tired. But its just a choice. :unsure:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
yeah, those are all great reasons, i personally want a dirtbike and quad, i was going to get a dirtbike instead of my rappy,but all my friends had quads,and they already have a hard enough time keeping up as is,i had a street bike before my quad,and a dirtbike when i was in my late teens, well i still have it, just needs a lot of TLC, it's a 82? i think suzuki PE175, so i just went with the flow and got a quad, before i did buy it i looked at every sport quad that was out,and this one just seemed to be for me.... but i'd like to get a nice used dirtbike for under 2g's later on...i love bikes, they really are a lot of fun......what about you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, it's funny you asked. My dad used to race a LONG while back and he owned one of those big nasty 502 2-stroke maco (I think thats right). And one day he hit a fairly good size jump (he has pictures), it was pretty big, nothin I uwould hit with my rappy, well anyway, he hit it, landed and the foot pegs broke off! He almost borke his neck, like 10 ribs and his left arm and leg. Pretty crazy, so, he would never let me get a dirtbike, minibike, yes, dirtbike NO. I rode sleds to keep myself busy. But, seeing as im 22 now, I think I can get what I want :grin_nod:.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeh,I was a bike guy years(12) ago & never thought I would own a quad.The one big factor when I switched to a quad was that you can ride a quad year round & they are a blast in the snow & mud.The one thing I don't like about quads is hill climbs on tight & rough terraine(on a bike it's so easy to pic a line).Also a bike is so much more forgiving on a bad landing from a jump.Then there is the switching from twist throttle to thumb throttle.I'm glad I gave the thumb throttle a chance.I would never go back to a twist(that will light a fire for some people).Bring it on!

·
Registered
289 Posts
WHAT THE TWIST THROTTLE IS THE BEST THING EVER :puke: NICK :mp5: Just kiddin'

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let me rephrase, he broke his ribs, left leg and arm. And, I was touhing on the fact of getting a KTM, he said those used to be nasty, back in the day. Things might have changed by now though.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Sorry wrong guy :crazy:

·
Registered
115 Posts
yami700thumper said:
I used to feel the same way,but here's my argument.On a quad you get thrown around alot more than like on a bike were you can throw it around.Alot of the time on my quad I need to hold on hard with both hands(for dear life).It would be so much easier to goose a twist throttle on accident on a quad with disastrous results.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ive got a YZ250 aswell as my Raptor 700. Lovem both. Oh and I have a thumb throttle on my YZ. Best mod I ever did to it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
289 Posts
:bs: :lol:

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
raptor brothers said:
yami700thumper said:
I used to feel the same way,but here's my argument.On a quad you get thrown around alot more than like on a bike were you can throw it around.Alot of the time on my quad I need to hold on hard with both hands(for dear life).It would be so much easier to goose the gas on accident on a quad with disastrous results.
You have a good point, learning throttle control is the key..... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
751 Posts
I have a cr 250 also, but you cant ride it here in massachusetts in the winter.. you can with a quad. so I guess, with a quad, you get more use out of it than a dirt bike

·
Registered
767 Posts
I came from a KTM 525 to a Raptor. I feel more secure on a quad in our terrain and have proven this by way less injuries. :eek: The year round thing is a huge factor as well, I've rode all winter this year where as past years I've just sat and looked at my bike. :'( I'm really enjoying the quad and at this point in time don't miss the bike one bit. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
MoRaptor03 said:
Ive got a YZ250 aswell as my Raptor 700. Lovem both. Oh and I have a thumb throttle on my YZ. Best mod I ever did to it. :thumbsup:
What??? :fruity:

·
Registered
963 Posts
all my friends have bikes. I am the only one in my group that rides a quad. They seem to be able to take the better lanes through the trails where I have to hit every thing without much choice in a good line. They all say I should get two wheels but I love my quad.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I started riding a 100cc on/off road bike when I was 10. Been riding street bikes for 15 years.

I used to think I wanted a dirt bike. Something about jumping my street bike off parking lot entrances. I thought it would be far more fun than a quad. Then I bought one.

Where I live, you can't ride them on trails. Despite having 600+ acres of private land to ride on, it still gets pretty old. After a year, I'd only put one 6 gallon gas can through my RMX250. At least when I sold it I didn't lose much money.

I second Diddly, I also feel more secure on a quad. With the bike, it was WFO to full brake, it's tough to rail through the corners on soft, sandy ground with that one skinny-ass front tire.

On a quad, no problem. Hang the ass end out, nail the throttle, go. I know I'll run more than 6 gallons of gas through my Raptor.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
The only way you'll get me on two wheels is if you want me to shine the moon with my headlights! :lol: I, like many others started out on 2 wheelers. I guess I just got sick of have to work so hard to ride. On my quad, if I wanna stop on the trail side, I just stop, with a bike you have to either stand there with it or lean it on tree, just too much work for me. Oh yeah, what 2 wheeler looks as cool as a raptor? NONE!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
155 Posts
roc64 said:
MoRaptor03 said:
What??? :fruity:
I grew up riding three wheelers and just have never been comfy at all with a twist throttle. So I threw a thumb throttle on it and will never go back. Oh and everyone that has jumped on it and tried it out loves the thumb throttle. Lot easier to control the throttle. Dont knock it unless you try it. And about the only riding I do on my YZ anymore is hill climbing.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use to race an RM80 years ago, but definitely prefer my rappy. Much more fun on the trail and YOU CAN RIDE AT NIGHT! I agree with one of the other replies though, a bike is more forgiving if you hit a jump wrong. The rappy will put the smack down on you if your not careful! Hit the gas and hang on! :metal:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts