Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
The 05 a-arms are have different part number relative to the 01-04's... I suspect they added camber in 05, along with a few other minor changes.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
? ? ?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Bro, you more or less asked the same question 3 different times within a 30 minute timeframe, just be patient, if someone knows the answer, they will answer.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
If someone has an answer they will give it to you... repeating the question doesn't speed up a response.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
What goes for me too? I was just pointing out to you that asking the same question 3 times within 30 minutes isn't going to get your answer any faster, it just means that the people that are currently on the forum either don't have the answer, or they haven't seen your question. I meant no disrespect in any way at all, but it seems that by your response to me with "bro," that you have a chip on your shoulder, that you want a confrontation.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What goes for me too? I was just pointing out to you that asking the same question 3 times within 30 minutes isn't going to get your answer any faster, it just means that the people that are currently on the forum either don't have the answer, or they haven't seen your question. I meant no disrespect in any way at all, but it seems that by your response to me with "bro," that you have a chip on your shoulder, that you want a confrontation.
Bro, no chip. I was just trying to be very clear on my questions. Now that it's ben over 12 hours with no answer I might have to ask the same question again.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Okay, I should be more specific in my answer then... I realize that ? ? ? was not very informative.

THis is the first I've heard about 05 having camber. I WAS aware, however, that 05 a-arms had a different part number. So, with your camber statment and the apriori knowledge of the part number difference, one can jump to the (unverified) conclusion that Yammi added camber in 05.

What does camber do for handling? It keeps the outside tire's tread more normal to the traction surface when the frame is leaning into a turn... not, necessarily, as important on a quad as it is on a car with a perfectly flat tread surface... but it still may add a bit of improvement in front end turning traction. I prefer a bit of camber (is top of tire tipped in towards the frame positive or negative?) on mine, using my adjustable a-arms, as it just feels a bit better, more responsive, when turning - but to me it's a bit subjective - I have no real test data.

Now the question is, how much camber, and can this be confirmed?

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
I wasn't aware of the camber being changed in 05. By the looks of the avatar photo you have posted the bike seems to have a bent tie rod. A frame that's been tweeked may have pitched the bottom of your tire inward causing the positive camber setting. However, if you are correct in saying the 05 was set up different from the factory then my guess is that Yamaha was trying to help correct a poorly designed suspension that needed more stability at high speeds in straight lines, otherwise negative camber would be preferred over positive for better turning at speeds. just my 2 cents.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Tie rod bent will change toe-in (out), not camber... this can only be caused by lower a-arm ball joint being moved out or upper moved in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the help. As for my tie rods, in the picture my handle bars are turned that is why the front end looks funny. I have no bent tie rods or rod ends, everything is true and strait. I am the original owner from the factory and it's never ben rolled or flipped.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
So, could you measure the difference in space between the front tires at the top and at the bottom? From this (and with your measured tire height) we can calculate the camber angle, and compare this to 01-04's for a definitive answer.

BTW, the service manual states camber angle as -1 degree. Negative camber means the top is tipped towards center (tires closer together at top then at bottom), as shown below. What is yours?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Tie rod bent will change toe-in (out), not camber... this can only be caused by lower a-arm ball joint being moved out or upper moved in.
Maybe I wasn't clear because I was discussing two points at once. The appearance of a left front wheel that looked as if it were out farther than it should be in the avatar and the fact that a crash which could have tweeked a tie rod (referring back to previously mentioned picture) could have moved the camber setting. Sorry for not specifically addressing the movement of the lower or upper ball joint or the disruption of that geometry by the bending of an arm, an arm mount or the ball joint itself.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Got it - the same event that (could have) damaged the tie rod, could also have bent a ball joint, a-arm, a-arm mount or the frame, causing the apparent camber change. I'm a bit slow on the uptake sometimes, lol...

But, we now know there's no damage, so no harm, no foul.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
So, could you measure the difference in space between the front tires at the top and at the bottom? From this (and with your measured tire height) we can calculate the camber angle, and compare this to 01-04's for a definitive answer.

BTW, the service manual states camber angle as -1 degree. Negative camber means the top is tipped towards center (tires closer together at top then at botto
m), as shown below. What is yours?
When I measure the inside to inside at bottom of rims I get 30.5". When I measure top to to inside I get 29 7/8". Quad is resting under it's own weight.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts