Raptor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, found an '04 YFZ450 for sale, the guy said it turns over but won't start, and he isn't sure what it needs. He wants $1200 for it, what do you guys think? Good deal or no?

·
Registered
40 Posts
You never know with those kinds of things could be a coil or a wrecked valve train . My buddy is selling the same bike but has about 10k into after market work with all the paperwork on everything hes asking 4700, well worth the money but I dont know what your budget is. Its in Wa PM me if you wanna know about it

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Hey guys, found an '04 YFZ450 for sale, the guy said it turns over but won't start, and he isn't sure what it needs. He wants $1200 for it, what do you guys think? Good deal or no?
Does the engine turn over and not start, or just not start, have you checked compression, does it have spark........etc
Now these are things you should check, and once you get it running, listen to the bike.............then buy it if you are happy...........

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called him, he got it started soon after he posted the ad, he said it was just that the carbs were dirty, and he blew them out, and once he did it, it started right up. I rode the bike, everything seems to be in order. The rear tires are bald, still the stockers, but there doesn't seem to be anything huge wrong with the bike. A little TLC would be in order but I think it's a pretty good bike. Oh, he's asking $1500 now though that it runs.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I ended up picking it up, all in all, I can't really complain about the choice I made. Some new rear tires, a good wash, change out the fluids, and I think she will be good to go. I'm looking forward to taking it out and seeing what she will do.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Change that oil and filter OFTEN brutha!

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do! I've always been good about keeping up on that, but are the YFZ's, whether it's the earlier years or later years, or all, more temperamental if you let the oil changes go?

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, I'd post a picture or two of after I gave it the Simple Green and powerwasher treatment, but I can't figure out the whole picture deal, lol. It looks like a whole different bike. I knew the wash would make it look even better than it did. Wish I had gotten a decent pic of it the night I picked it up.

·
Premium Member
4,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks man, I'll check it out here in a few and see if I can figure it out, lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts