Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought two (one is the wifes) 03 660's new and was thinking of upgrading mine to a new 700 I had a few questions though. Is there a big power/speed difference in the extra 28cc?, does it have the rev limiter on the reverse? (did an override on ours), has there been any one-way failures?, and do the headlight housings rattle like the 660's? (I put silicone on ours) Any other input/ changes (besides what is listed in the specs) would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
the power is better but not huge for me where i saw the difference was the handling ability. i can hit whoops a full gear higher than with the 660. and when you start to mod i think you can make aton more power out of simple mods.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I used to have an '03 660 and Yamaha fixed the one-way problem before the 660 ended. The 700's don't wheelie excessively, handle better, more ridable power, and are more comfortable. I am glad I made the switch. :)

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
Nothing but praises for those in my neck of the woods that made the switch.

I think you'll be very happy going over to the darkside 700R :lol: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies.....what about that reverse? before I did the bypass the reverse on the 660's were damn near useless!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Reverse is much better, you don't even notice the limiter.  +1 on what everyone else said. My only regret is that I sank so much money into the 660 before I made the switch. :lol:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
yfm700lover said:
Desert Racer said:
Either bike is a good one. If you have the moeny I say get a 700. Or you can get a 660 and mod it for the same price of a 700.
he already has a 660 :eek:
Oh oops. Keep the 660 man and just do a cam and suspension with a exhaust and intake and you will be set.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i had a 660 but i sold it about 4 years ago so i cant really say if my 700 is way faster or not its hard to rember how the 660 felt. The handling is a whole new animail i could tell that as soon as i got on the 700, far less tippy. the 660 liked to pull wheelies all the time were the 700 does it when you want it to. Ive heard no headlight ratteling and i havent noticed any probs with the reverse i dont use it that often. I love the 700 and like the others said i think this one has alot more potential with modds than the 660 did.

·
Registered
419 Posts
i like my cousins 700 much better gearing is better seems to be a lot less maintenance no carb cleaning and carb adjusting and stuff can ride 12 oclock wheelies all day cuz of fuel injection

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a 660 before and the things that I disliked about it, are fixed on the 700. I HATED reverse on my 660, I actually thought most of the time for me it was useless. I thought that it was tippy and my 700 is much better. I also love having EFI, it makes a world of difference to me. I also like the tires much better on stock 700's. Just my opinion.

I would def. get the 700.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts