Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an oil leak on the front of the valve cover, right above the headers. I pulled the valve cover and scraped both surfaces.

Before I move forward, I have two questions about applying yamabond to the valve cover.

1.)The manual says to apply it to all mating surfaces on the cylinder head. Does that account for around the spark plug hole and the flat surfaces near the camshaft?
2.) How do you apply the sealant? Do you apply it as a thin bead or do you dab it on, to cover the surface like a thin film?

·
Registered
636 Posts
On my browser your pic says "sensitive content not recommended for those under 18" was totally bummed when I clicked on it :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha, I can’t imagine what one would expect when seeing that security message after reading the question “do you apply yamabond in these areas” thinking it’s hemorrhoid cream.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just watched a British video and they smear the sealant on the surfaces. I’m going to go that route. I think I may just go around the spark plug hole as well as the outer edge. Maybe stay away from the cam.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I go around the perimeter keeping my yamabond on the fat side of the tap holes, i go around both sides of the dowel pins, and around spark plug hole. Dont use too much, if it squishes a bunch out on the outside, it squished out on the inside too

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
87 Posts
All the flat surfaces that touch between the valve cover and cylinder head should have sealant. I apply a thin bead right out of the tube then smooth it out with my finger. You don’t need much so when you are smoothing it out you can remove any excess.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and applied a thin bead around the perimeter and dabbed it smooth with my finger. Also, I dabbed some of the excess around the flange for the spark plug hole, staying on the outside towards the plug. Just for peace of mind. I read some posts where people were having oil coming out of the spark plug weeping hole.

After 24 hour cure, I fired it up and ran it for about an hour, checking every couple of minutes or so for oil. Nothing so far, knock on wood.

Much better than using the black RTV stuff from advanced auto, that stuff leaks immediately.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts