Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned many quads. But never really got into riding and changing alot of things till i got my raptor.
So i have a few questions.

1. Are aftermarket shocks worth the money for trail and very little track?
2. Do i need resevoirs?
3. Is a steering dampener a waste just for trail riding?

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Steering dampner will help out on arm fatigue during long rides or hard riding. I've raced, and been on very long excursions and still don't have one and probably won't get one. It also helps eliminate sudden jerks or turning to quick caused by bump steer, which in all gives you more control at high speeds and rough riding.

Any shock is better than then stock, your best bet is a set of shocks off the yfz450. They require some modding (very little)to get them to fit right, but is well worth it. They run around $250 on average (my guesstimate) and have reservoirs, comp and rebound adjustment, if your able to get a hold of the special Edition shocks they have high/low speed compression adjustment on them.

Think of a shock like a brake (in one aspect, not all), when there being worked out they start to fade as they get used harder..the reservoir helps keep things cool, and the increased volume of the reservoir leads to better dispersion of gas/fluid on jumps and bumps,..ect which increases overall efficientcy (brain fart, can't remember how to spell) and performance. They are vastly more complex than that, but it gives you the idea. For your type of riding, yfz shocks for $200-$250 are worth every bit of it.. Anything more than that will be better, but you'll never utilize the full potential of the shock for what you said your doing.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i ended up buying a set of tcs shocks, just really want the triple rate and the were freshly rebuilt and set up for my weight already for 350 bucks plus the matched my raptor.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
TCS is almost always a good buy...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts