Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got all the bolts out except that bottom left one but i cant seem to get the cover to clear the clutch and slide off. i cant pull it straight off because the frame is in the way. im sure someone has had a problem with this before. whats the trick to get it off?

thanks

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
drill a 1/2 inch hole in the tab and pull the bolt out. have fun getting the cover back on when your done.
mike

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
ya but its a pain just drill the hole, there are guys doing motorcross like that with no issues. drill the hole then put a little paint on the bare metal.
mike

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i got the cover off and now for some reason its easy to put back on too even with the bottom left bolt in. and i didnt drill any holes

so i put the new clutch plates in and everything back on but now i cant get the lever to engage and disengage the clutch. the shaft that comes out of the pressure plate and moves with the shaft that slides in on top of the cover wont work together. i have taken it off and on about 5 times now, whats the deal?

and where is the alignment mark on the basket that the arrow on the pressure plate lines up with? that could be my problem........

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
the basket line up marks may only be dimples.

take the clutch lever off the shaft coming out of the case and remove the spring, slide the shaft back on and rotate it clockwise till you feel the clutch assembly insdie touch,
note where the shaft is,
remove the lever, replace the spring and put the lever where it needs to be.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got the clutch in finnally, took me over 9 hours! from start to finish, i just kept running into random problems, idk its done now though

rode it down my street and there is definatly no more slippage, awsome it acctually moves when i tell it to. but no matter how i adjust the cable it doesnt seem to fully disengage, cant get neutral when standing still and shifts are a little rough..... is this normal untill its broke in?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have tried adjusting it on both ends and i cant get it to disengage 100% the lever that connects to the shaft on the cover looks as though it is going all the way back when i pull the clutch in. i just rode it and the shifts are not really bad, but i just cant get it into neutral at a stop. it wants to roll foward a little bit but when i pull it in when im moving the revs will drop. i think i may have overtightened the 5 bolts on the pressure plate.

but i have to go riding today, someone is coming from out of town to ride so ill just deal with it. maybe turn it off when i stop, i think not fully disengaging is better than not fully engaging

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did the clutch in my raptor- it takes a good half hour of hard riding to break it in after your replace your fibers and steels. It is normal for it to want to roll forward while the clutch is in after you install it. It will also be difficult to hit neutral until it is broke in. I replaced my fibers and steels and pressure plate with the GYT-R parts. It was my first time doing a clutch, and when i threw it all back together and had the same problems as you, i was worried, but I thought about it and just figured i would ride it hard to break it in quick, and sure enough that was all it was. Ride it today, and by the end of the day, that raptor should shift nice and crisp. Oh, and about that bolt that hits the frame, I got it out by having a friend try to pull it out while I wiggled the clutch cover. To put it back together, I did the same thing. Worked real good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts