Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SMIB fursure said:
no sorry man i would think the whole thing is alloy, if its not than i dont know. intrested now though. are you welding gussets or somthing?
I plan on building a v-twin dune screamer, I have found a brand new roller chassis for sale, I just wanna make sure of the material, that is in case I have to gusset and reinforce the frame. I feel safer if it was Steel compared to Aluminum.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
644 Posts
woofers67 said:
The rear half of the frame and sub frame are cast aluminum . Bolted to the front half of the frame witch is steel. Hope this helps.
Nope, this is wrong.
Rear half of the mainframe and the subframe are both made out of aluminum, which is an alloy :crazy:

You can see where they had to bolt the steel front half of the frame to the aluminum rear half.

G

·
The rear half of the frame and sub frame are cast aluminum . Bolted to the front half of the frame witch is steel. Hope this helps.

This is true. ^^^^

·
Registered
468 Posts
What kind of v-twin motor are you thinking of using? I can put you in touch with a guy that built a custome v-twin duner with an RC51 motor and even put a turbo on it. The bike is unbelievable.

Craig,

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
BigGixxerJim said:
woofers67 said:
Nope, this is wrong.
Rear half of the mainframe and the subframe are both made out of aluminum, which is an alloy :crazy:

You can see where they had to bolt the steel front half of the frame to the aluminum rear half.

The frame is made up of 3 parts, high-tensile Steel front( Fancy word for hot-rolled carbon steel ) , cast aluminum rear (sand casting) , and a die-cast aluminum sub frame (just as it sounds cast in a metal die) . An alloy is the the melting or fusing of two or more pure metals to make one. (stainless ,bronze , ect.) Bolting two metals together dose not make it an alloy. :lol: And aluminum is a pure metal not an alloy. I'm not sure if Yamaha adds copper, silicon , manganese , or zinc to there aluminum for strength and or flex. I'm sure they would have listed it as a hybrid aluminum alloy if they did.

kylewest1320 only asked if the top part of the frame where the arrow was pointing was steel or aluminum . :grin_nod:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.