Raptor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanna try some race fuel in my rap to see if it will run any better. With my mods should I mix it with 93 or just run straight 110 race fuel? thanks guys

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have the same setup and i run 93 and it works ok no pinging nothing runs great but if i add 75% 93 and 25%110 it runs better just my.02 cents worth and at 8.00 a gallon for 110 i run the 93 all day and never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,124 Posts
What fuel were you using before? 93 im assuming? Were you getting any pinging with that? If you don't need it, don't bother wasting the money running 110...you wont get any more power with it, and it wont run any better. Only step up the octane when it is necessary...ie, getting pre ignition detonation from compression/heat.

·
Vendor - Rip Ass Connoisseur & Turbo Junkie
733 Posts
What fuel were you using before? 93 im assuming? Were you getting any pinging with that? If you don't need it, don't bother wasting the money running 110...you wont get any more power with it, and it wont run any better. Only step up the octane when it is necessary...ie, getting pre ignition detonation from compression/heat.
As Langford says "You WILL NOT get any more power", your waisting your $$$ get up to 12.5:1 then worry about it but not at 11.00:1

Mike

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Also, from what I understand, if you raise your octane level significantly you will need to re-tune the bike. What elevation are you riding at? Even at sea level I wouldn't think you would need higher than 93 from what I've been told. I am running a little higher compression than you and have no ping on 91 octane @ 5,000 to 9,000 ft. elevation.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I was running 93 and always have. Since my mods I have had some pinging. But everything checks out great. I bought 2 gal this morning and it was $4.01 a gal.

The pinging is the reason I want to try the higher octane

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
Yes I was running 93 and always have. Since my mods I have had some pinging. But everything checks out great. I bought 2 gal this morning and it was $4.01 a gal.

The pinging is the reason I want to try the higher octane
ya then try a 100 oct fuel (75% 93/91 & 25% 110). i run 100LL av fuel in mine at 1100 ft elevation. no problems. you shouldnt be having any problems with your build on 93. too high a octane youll run cooler but actually loose power. its when your right right at the verge of detonation (without actually detonating/pinging) that you make your best power.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
ya then try a 100 oct fuel (75% 93/91 & 25% 110). i run 100LL av fuel in mine at 1100 ft elevation. no problems. you shouldnt be having any problems with your build on 93. too high a octane youll run cooler but actually loose power. its when your right right at the verge of detonation (without actually detonating/pinging) that you make your best power.
Your mix ratio 110X1 + 93X3 / 4 = 97 octane. That's about what I run in my 13:1 LTR450 barrel racing bike.
There is the option of mixing your own fuel with Toluene which is what I do whenever I can find toluene cheaper than 110 Race gas. 5 Gallons of Toluene generally sells for around 50-60 but is around 115-118 in octane rating so you will only mix it to about 20% with 93 octane gas. As with most race fuel and blended gas the specific gravity will be higher than pump 93 octane so you will have to jet accordingly.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Most power = lowest octane you can safely run.

With that said, race fuels do have other additives that can affect the feel of the bike. Some are oxygenated which can make more power too. Leaded fuels will change how the motor responds slightly.

If you are pinging with 93 octane and 11:1 compression, then something isn't quite right. Adding octane will only mask the problem and at the same time reduce your power and empty your wallet. My 2 cents.

·
Ridin High.....
961 Posts
Most power = lowest octane you can safely run.

With that said, race fuels do have other additives that can affect the feel of the bike. Some are oxygenated which can make more power too. Leaded fuels will change how the motor responds slightly.

If you are pinging with 93 octane and 11:1 compression, then something isn't quite right. Adding octane will only mask the problem and at the same time reduce your power and empty your wallet. My 2 cents.
+1

i figured 11:1 compression would be fine at any elevation on premium. maybe loading up the engine too much? big rider/ tall gearing?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts