Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went riding with some friends over the weekend who all have 450's. 2 2011 YFZ's, and a 2011 kfx 450. Just for fun we did a bunch of runs up and down the empty dirt road. All of us are experienced riders, all of us at least 10 years or more. My 05 660 was able to beat all of them. My 660 is stock, the kfx is stock, one yfz is stock with brand new holeshots, and one has a full exhaust. The piped yfz was a close race every time, i beat him probably 60% of the time. He and I weigh about the same. The stock yfz with holeshots, and the kfx i beat every single time. The yfz would get me on the launch a little with the better tires, but by the time i hit third gear i was pulling away. We raced many many times, so wasn't a fluke.

Anyway, i was always under the impression the 450's stock for stock were a little faster than 660's, however in my experience this is not the case at all. We tried switching riders but with them being used to launching 450's, the raptor proved difficult with how easily it lifts on the launch for them so we couldn't get a good race that way. Don't really care who is faster, was all in good fun, just surprised by the results. What kind of hp does a 660 make vs the 450's? Are 660's generally faster?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I think the 660 is making somewhere around 40HP stock...And if I remember right the YFZ is making about 37 but that was the carbed model. I raced my brother's piped and jetted Outlaw 450 with my stock 660 and oh man that was fun(ny). The 660 destroys the Outlaw but he also has about 80 lbs on me, we did a rolling first gear start because they both wheelie easy

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know dirt roads aren't ideal for traction, but when it is one where there is literally nothing and you can stay wide open till the top of 5th if you want, it's easy to see who pulls on who long after the take off. And it wasn't like we just raced once, we did a bunch of times.

More just trying to figure out how they SHOULD compare vs my personal experience.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the 660 is making somewhere around 40HP stock...And if I remember right the YFZ is making about 37 but that was the carbed model. I raced my brother's piped and jetted Outlaw 450 with my stock 660 and oh man that was fun(ny). The 660 destroys the Outlaw but he also has about 80 lbs on me, we did a rolling first gear start because they both wheelie easy
Yeah weight and rider skill can be a big difference for sure. We tried some first gear roll races too but it didn't really change the out come.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
I launch in second sometimes 3rd according how much I wheelie or spin on that particular track/road/surface.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
And you have funky gearing :wow:
3rd for me would bog :(
I also have lots of Tq and Hp. I'm far from stock it's also far from a full race quad. It's my trail beast. That beats up on banshees. I love spanking 2 smokes.

·
YOU WISH
6,114 Posts
:lol: I like spanking anybody that talks smack!
But sometime I just might get beat lol there is nothing really that fast around my place tho... There is "A-lo" That keeps saying he is going turbo...

Ok sorry back to topic :)

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Turbo is cool but I don't think it'll do good on trail back east here but are great out west in the dunes and where there's not much mud. I can be wrong though but I'd still try him in 300' if he dont know how to load up the engine to get the turbo to spool up quick. 300' races go by fast.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I launch in second sometimes 3rd according how much I wheelie or spin on that particular track/road/surface.
Yeah i can usually feel out how much traction wherever i'm racing has and feather the throttle, short shift and whatever to launch the best that the condition will allow. On the dirt road it really wouldn't wheelie bad because it would just spin through first. When it hit second and caught some grip it would generally lift up. First and second are generally pretty useless, either it spins or turns into a two wheeler. Definitely takes some seat time to launch these things, the 450's were way easier. Crazy how different the engines feel too. Both 4 strokes, but the torque difference, where they make power, how the sound. Everything totally different. I know they were designed to be different beasts, just was my first time on a 450 machine.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
The 660 is around 33-35 stock, the yfz is the newer FI model and makes closer to 40hp, the kfx also makes more hp than the raptor.

Both of those atvs have you beat in power and weight, let alone power to weight ratio. The difference here is the surface, the tires, the gearing, the length of the race, and the rider.

Spider and Blue, although your statements may very well be true it's hard to see how the performance, launch and gearing of a modified 700R relates to stock 660's and 450's.

And as someone from Michigan, I can agree that we're crazy from time to time.

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
The 660 is around 33-35 stock, the yfz is the newer FI model and makes closer to 40hp, the kfx also makes more hp than the raptor.

Both of those atvs have you beat in power and weight, let alone power to weight ratio. The difference here is the surface, the tires, the gearing, the length of the race, and the rider.

Spider and Blue, although your statements may very well be true it's hard to see how the performance, launch and gearing of a modified 700R relates to stock 660's and 450's.

That's why I stated I'm very far from stock.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

See this was more along the lines of what i thought. The kfx is geared very different for sure, even from the yfzs. Gears are shorter, and the power band is more mid rpm vs high rpm with the yfz.

As for beating them, i can't really explain it much then i guess except for rider. I do consider myself a very good rider, and have been riding since i was 7, but my friends are also quite experienced. One is actually my cousin, and i grew up riding with him, so. And the yfz's definitely have better tires stock than the raptor. Ah well, is what it is. This is pretty much all i was looking to find out.

·
Super Moderator
17,061 Posts
I don't know if you're getting into top gear on these things, but they all have artificial speed limiters in top gear so top out runs aren't going to mean anything.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not really getting your point? They, as well as the raptor top out at over 70mph. I don't know exact numbers, but both are probably 75ish. Not only that but its pretty obvious when the quad simply won't let you go any more. Point being, even the high speed races, neither of us was hitting speed limiter. Most of the time i would start to pull once i got into third gear, there was no point to continue up through 5th on those races. Only the piped yfz would stay close to side by side all the way through.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I know a speed limiter and rev limiter are not the same thing, and that a speed limter doesn't "bounce" the way a rev limiter does. I know the speed limiter in a car is quite noticeable, and that certainly isn't anything like a rev limiter. You can tell when the thing simply will not go any faster. Besides, we're talking 75mph or so! I was pulling by third gear on all but the piped yfz! And it would be apparent when suddenly i start to pull quite a bit more toward the top of 5th. Bottom line, speed limiter was not a factor is all im trying to get at.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts