Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've heard a lot of people talk about doing this, but can someone give a little more specific information about it? I don't ride very often, and I'm going riding Memorial Day Weekend with a bunch of people as usual. My bro-in-law has a piped YFZ, and I may want to race him a bit. I am completely stock (except for my tires), but I was thinking about doing the 2nd gear start thing. Specifically, what I want to know is, from a stand-still, do I rev it all the way up and pop the clutch, or will I need to feather the clutch in a bit? Will I bog down the motor doing this? I certainly do not want to stall the bike! - That would be just embarassing. So anyone with experience with this, please chime in. Thanks.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Triplecrown said:
Rev it to half throttle, as you are releasing the clutch, give it more throttle. If you rev it to full throttle and pop the clutch, you'll kill it.
Or wind up on your head. If you're in sand, you may be able to floor it and dump the clutch, depending on your tire (if you have paddles what kind) and the amount of power you have (what mods). Otherwise, it takes a lil practice to learn how to do this perfectly, trust me, I'm still learning.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jrichard82 said:
Triplecrown said:
Rev it to half throttle, as you are releasing the clutch, give it more throttle. If you rev it to full throttle and pop the clutch, you'll kill it.
Or wind up on your head. If you're in sand, you may be able to floor it and dump the clutch, depending on your tire (if you have paddles what kind) and the amount of power you have (what mods). Otherwise, it takes a lil practice to learn how to do this perfectly, trust me, I'm still learning.
Well, like my sig says, I have Maxxis Razr2's (all around), and in the first post I wrote I'm all stock except for these tires. I don't ride on sand - only grass and dirt. Thanks for the tips, I probably woulda reved it up and popped the clutch, which would apparent;y have put my on my butt or stalled the bike. I just wish I had more time to ride and practice. I'll give it a shot, though! Sounds like it's not too much different than starting in 1st gear - just need to give it more gas.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I beat a piped 05 YFZ SE twice no problem starting from 2nd, but we were rolling.. My bike was stock at the time..

·
Registered
426 Posts
first gear 8) second gear will make u lose !! if it in sand jsut release the clutch with full throtle

if it is in street release the clutch slower and go full throtle it will wheelie through th gear change but who cares

·
Premium Member
6,553 Posts
Ive drag raced my 700 soo much that I have tested and confirmed that you leave in second on the things unless your on pavement. The torque curve is plentiful to leave in 2nd and first gear is too short and shifting to second only takes time away from you. Ive raced at the drag strip too many times lol and I leave in 1st there because its easier to control front lift since traction is not an issue there because of the pavement. Second gear launches at the gate in my MX races are the main reason Ive gotten the holeshot because the 450s I race with cant do it because it bogs em at the start where my raptor pulls me through.

·
Registered
27 Posts
WFO OFF THE REV LIMITER then let the clutch out, dont dump it fast. you will get the hang of it after a few practice times. dont be afraid to let it run off the rev limiter. i mean thats what its their for

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have an o5 660 i always leave in second gear i put my nuts on the gas cap nail the throtle to wide open and dump it and the only stock 450 that is beating me right now is the ltr 450 and my raptor is bone stock running 3.5 pounds of air in the rear tires to gain a little more traction

·
Registered
148 Posts
Isnt it bad for the clutch to rev the motor that high? I start off in second, get the clutch out then hit it. Im sure it launches faster high revving it but just seems like it would wear it out way faster.

·
Super Moderator
17,057 Posts
If you don't have the power/gearing/tires or are hooking up too much on terrain to do it then you'd better stick to 1st. You're going to slip the clutch more to use 2nd, but dropping the clutch in 1st isn't any better for it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just a little testing I did at the track(pavement). I ran it at the 1/8 mile this past weekend jsut for fun after running my truck.

1st pass- Launching in 1st with my mods slipping the clutch and leaning with my head and body over the bars I ran a 8.68 at 72mph with 4lbs of pressure on bald stock tires.

2nd pass-Now leaving in 2nd against my friends modded 04' mach 1 mustang I revved to the top and went half way out until it was moving decently(5/10mph) then let it rip. 8.46 at 75mph.

3rd pass-Tried a differnt launch this time leaving and slipping the whole way out in 2nd and ran a 8.50 at 74mph. Felt really slow out of the whole and people watching thought it was a very weak launch.

4th pass- Got ballsy and dumped it in first about half gas..... :eek: hit 2nd bumped the grab bar, hit 3rd once again tapped the bar, hit 4th came down about half way hit 5th gear and came down and ran a 8.93 at 76mph lol.....

5th pass against my friends 72' chevy built 355stroker on spray and street tires..... :)
2nd gear launch from full throttle wheelied a bit hit 3rd wheels came down and ran a 8.39 at 73mph!

Now I know I'm not the best rider in the world but have quite a bit of experience just not much at all on this quad and feel that with more passes better times could be pulled before more mods..... did however beat a modded banshee on the last run of the night 8.42 at 75mph and loaded up feeling pretty happy!

My personal experience is I'll launch in 2nd on hard pavement and on hardpack trails, havent had the chance in sand or similar terrain. An extended swingarm would definately come in handy!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts