Raptor Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Well, the Mishimoto radiator, which is advertised fitting through 2012, will not work with the 2015-2020 fan without modification.
The Spal fan I have bolts right up to the stock radiator too.
The overflow tubes are also the same I.D and O.D as the hoses.
The tube off the filler neck threads in, and it's wall thickness is pretty stout, so it can go in the lathe and be turned down.
The other is tig welded on, so will be a pain.
The rear of the Mishimoto is also not flat, as the outer frame is higher, and even though the Spal fan squeezes in, it's going to make mounting a little more challenging.
I need to give it some thought, but as of now, a simple cross bar to the threaded holes, using 2 instead of 3 may work.
My Dad is a retired engineer, so I'll get his thoughts tomorrow on the best way to mount the fan.
Always fun when the part isn't specific to the application, but it's worth the effort for better cooling.
20210108_225139.jpg
20210108_225155.jpg
20210108_225317.jpg

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
According to their site it fits 2006 to 2012.
The height and width are basically the same.
I can make it work, but I'm pretty pissed right now. Reason being, the only difference in fan mounts across All 700's is the mounting hole spacing.
But, a fan is supposed to lay flat on the radiator, otherwise it's useless.
If I had an 06-12 fan instead of a 15-20 fan it still wouldn't work.
Because instead of being flat on the back and using factory clip nuts, it has raised threaded holes welded on...wtf?!
That is what raises the fan up, and they are even visible on their website pictures.
They are closed until monday, but I sent them an email and picture.
This is nonsense.
20210108_225231.jpg

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
@Hyena
How did you mount your fan?
If your radiator is the same as mine, and what I see on their website, there is no way to mount the fan flush without modification.
Thanks

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
According to their site it fits 2006 to 2012.
The height and width are basically the same.
I can make it work, but I'm pretty pissed right now. Reason being, the only difference in fan mounts across All 700's is the mounting hole spacing.
But, a fan is supposed to lay flat on the radiator, otherwise it's useless.
If I had an 06-12 fan instead of a 15-20 fan it still wouldn't work.
Because instead of being flat on the back and using factory clip nuts, it has raised threaded holes welded on...wtf?!
That is what raises the fan up, and they are even visible on their website pictures.
They are closed until monday, but I sent them an email and picture.
This is nonsense. View attachment 140184
But it SHOULD work on mine?
Lol dude I feel ya, of COURSE Yamaha had to change something stupid like that, because why not?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Got mine ordered, and I think it'll fit good in the plastics because its supposed to be a whole inch shorter than stock but idk.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I saw the threaded holes but I thought those would be nice....
No, that's what has me angry.
I do not understand the stupidity of that design.
These idiots could have spent less time and money, in materials and assembly, by simply using the stock design, flat on the back with holes to reuse the factory clip nuts.
Instead, they weld on raised threaded studs.
Which moves the fan over an inch off of the radiator which defeats the purpose.
Yamaha mounted the fan flush on the radiator for a reason...because that's how it's supposed to be. The further the fan is from the radiator, the less it does.
It also moves the fan back towards the steering stem, where it may or may not contact it.
If I bought an 06-12 fan, it would bolt on, where my 15-20 will not, but the problem would be the same, the fan sitting an inch behind the radiator instead of flush.
I can make it work, but am really getting tired of modifying "bolt-on" parts.
Hey Mishimoto, your engineers that designed this are idiots, but I understand, I work with 2 "engineers" that are idiots too(all the rest are very intelligent...but there's Always at least one to f things up).
The only way these things are selling is because people are modifying them, or simply don't know any better.
The electric fan Needs to be flush against the radiator, where Yamaha put it, period...unless they come out with some hard evidence that proves otherwise...then I'll eat my words, lol

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
These idiots could have spent less time and money, in materials and assembly, by simply using the stock design, flat on the back with holes to reuse the factory clip nuts.
Yamaha mounted the fan flush on the radiator for a reason...because that's how it's supposed to be. The further the fan is from the radiator, the less it does.
It also moves the fan back towards the steering stem, where it may or may not contact it.
If I bought an 06-12 fan, it would bolt on, where my 15-20 will not, but the problem would be the same, the fan sitting an inch behind the radiator instead of flush.
Hey Mishimoto, your engineers that designed this are idiots, but I understand, I work with 2 "engineers" that are idiots too(all the rest are very intelligent...but there's Always at least one to f things up).
The only way these things are selling is because people are modifying them, or simply don't know any better.
The electric fan Needs to be flush against the radiator, period.
My spal fan is not flush either, it is easily 3/4" away but still works quite well. Would it work better if it was flush? Probably. But does it need to? Not really. I bet that radiator works well enough that the fan wont even come on unless its just idling for an extended period on a hot day. Keep us updated on what they tell you, and what you decide to do if you modify it

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hey 6pack, do you have enough material around the eyes of the mounting bracket that you can open them up large enough to go OVER the raised threaded pegs of the radiator? Then use a spacer and bolt to secure it flush?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Hey 6pack, do you have enough material around the eyes of the mounting bracket that you can open them up large enough to go OVER the raised threaded pegs of the radiator? Then use a spacer and bolt to secure it flush?

I thought of that, but it still wouldn't be flush, as the rear sides are raised for no reason.
The fan will squeeze in between the rear side edges and sit flush on the radiator.
I just need to make a strap to hold it in.
I can make one, but my Dad can make something better, I'm going to see him in an hour or so.
We'll make it work.
I'm just mad that so much effort goes into making a quality part, and then they go and spend more time and money, with more steps and material, that lifts the fan off the radiator vs letting it lay flush where it's most efficient.
I encounter enough of these clowns and their half-ass stuff on a regular basis.
Mishimoto does make quality parts, as I've seen in the past, but they need to stick to making intercoolers, because they clearly don't know how to mount an electric fan.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
My spal fan is not flush either, it is easily 3/4" away but still works quite well. Would it work better if it was flush? Probably. But does it need to? Not really. I bet that radiator works well enough that the fan wont even come on unless its just idling for an extended period on a hot day. Keep us updated on what they tell you, and what you decide to do if you modify it

Closing that gap would make a difference, and I want the most efficient cooling possible.
As usual, order a part, then put in more effort to make it work right.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The electric fan Needs to be flush against the radiator, where Yamaha put it, period...unless they come out with some hard evidence that proves otherwise...then I'll eat my words, lol
Lol. Dude I feel you. Sometimes I just wanna knock some engineers' heads together. Its like "Did you even look at what you were designing?"

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #96

Thats what I was thinking to

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
@Hyena
How did you mount your fan?
If your radiator is the same as mine, and what I see on their website, there is no way to mount the fan flush without modification.
Thanks
I'm using the stock fan and remember that one bolt not being close to lining up.

It worked flawlessly only turning on randomly in traffic. So if it isn't flush, I decided to let it go. 😁

81 - 100 of 122 Posts