Raptor Forum banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Fan brackets and hose adapters are done.
(I have to replace the steering stem and am adding ss front brake lines, so I have not installed and filled the radiator yet, just for more room to work).
I test fitted the radiator and it fits, the fan is now in the correct spot too(moved it up to center from the original lower planned location).
My Dad made 3 ss fan mounts, and turned 2 hose adapters out of brass on the lathe.
The overflow tubes on the Mishimoto radiator are one size larger than stock.
The I.D of the hose adapters is also not much smaller than the stock hose I.D, and given that it is a low pressure overflow, that poses no problems.
Since the overflow tank is plastic, it was nesacery to step down to the smaller I.D of the stock hose.
Assuming the new radiator has no leaks, all should work fine.
Just based on the increase in size and coolant capacity, this should definately knock engine temps down a few degrees, and every little bit counts. As I always like to point out, 212 degrees is boiling...where as 211 is just really hot, lol.
I'll be adding these pictures to my trail build thread too.
20210111_211319.jpg
20210114_175141.jpg
20210114_175141.jpg
20210114_223854.jpg

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Lower fan mount needed the bracket trimmed very close, and a button head allen instead of a hex head, to clear the frame.
This is BS too, because the stock fan bracket would have hit here too, and the dummies should never have raised the fan an inch off the radiator, their engineering made a quality cooler...but are clueless idiots in terms of fan mounting. Truly shameful on Mishimoto's part.
These modifications should never have been needed.
20210114_223904.jpg

20210114_223927.jpg

20210114_223918.jpg

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
The Spal fan shroud also needed a small amount trimmed out on it's left side to fit flush against the radiator core, as the rear of the radiator has raised rear sides...more stupidity in their design.
The right side of the fan is flush against the core and the right edge, no trimming needed.
20210114_224912.jpg
20210114_224859.jpg
20210114_224912.jpg

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Nicely done. Just got mine yesterday. Haven't had time to put it on yet. Im glad you got yours first lol.
I wonder if I could just whack off half of those fan mount brackets. Like are they threaded completely through? If not I have a tapping set.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
I ordered the Mishimoto radiater a few hours ago too, so I'll post it's dimensions and comparison pictures against the stock 2015-2020 radiator in a few days.

Post the size of your stock radiator and I'll compare it to mine, and we'll see what/if it has changed.
Forgot to do this. Ill get to it tomorrow hopefully

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Nicely done. Just got mine yesterday. Haven't had time to put it on yet. Im glad you got yours first lol.
I wonder if I could just whack off half of those fan mount brackets. Like are they threaded completely through? If not I have a tapping set.
The 3 studs are threaded to the bottom, and a bolt cannot pass through, as there is radiator frame below them/what they are welded to.
You could probably cut off 3/8" of heigth if you need clearance for the stock fan bracket.
There would be enough threads left to secure the fan with about that much material removed.
You may need to use a button allen head bolt on the bottom fan bracket like I did(clutch lever side), there isn't much room there against a vertical frame tube.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Got mine today.... fan fit fine. It was just as close to radiator as stock so idk about that you were saying. Everything needed a little jiggled around but it was not to hard. Just kinda takes time for me. That one bolt you put the allen on, ya it was in the way so I got my bro's grinder, slapped on some glasses and cut it at an angle. It is still removable though. And for what I was really waiting for, the plastics FIT!!!!
Gave her an oil change and tightened the chain while I was at it. Now going to pressure wash and take her for a spin.

Pics later, dont got a phone to upload them with.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Thanks. Now just hopefully everythings tight enough so it doesn't leak.
lol, that's where I'm at now.
I swapped in another steering stem, put in the ss front brake lines(still need to fill mc and bleed), and routed all lines and cables correctly before installing the radiator last night.
I have to add coolant...and hope for no leaks.

·
Super Moderator
8,608 Posts
You guys really have me leaning towards getting a new radiator for mine. I hear my fan kick on a lot while riding vs never hearing my wife’s Big 3 bike....

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
You guys really have me leaning towards getting a new radiator for mine. I hear my fan kick on a lot while riding vs never hearing my wife’s Big 3 bike....
Do you have Cuervo's early-on fan stat?
It turns the fan on 25 degrees sooner.
My 700 has never been close to the factory fan-on 225 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
8,608 Posts
I do not have that on mine. I just looked at that on EBay. I think I will order that and try it out.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
No leaks on mine, so far so good, lol.
I go back and forth with the ss radiator guard too, as it does help protect from roost, but, it does block alot of surface area.
I'll have to temperature gun test it soon, with and without, and see if there is any difference.
Regardless, my 700 now has the Mishimoto dual core radiator, a 440cfm Spal fan, Engine Ice, an inline cooler, Cuervo's early-on fan stat, and a Vapor with digital temp guage and 2 temp lights.
As well as air scoops and an oversize oil tank(+1 quart).
I think I've got the cooling thing about as good as it's gonna get now, lol.
20210117_132525.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,608 Posts
Yup, shouldn’t have any issues now on yours, looks great. I just ordered the early on kit, we will see how well that keeps it cooler for me. It only comes on when at the dunes, not too easy at all on the machine out there, lol.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Do you have Cuervo's early-on fan stat?
It turns the fan on 25 degrees sooner.
My 700 has never been close to the factory fan-on 225 degrees.
Are they hard to install? And how much did you pay for yours? I’m thinking about doing one but I gotta get the fan working first lol.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Looks nice sixpack.
I took mine for a short ride yesterday with the coolant line between empty and full. Got back and it was fine but this morning it was to the low line. Filled it to the top line and been riding at least four hours today and no sign of leakage. But what I did notice is my overflow bottle had the hose pointed down so when i would ride crazy it would slosh out. I pointed the hose upward and so far haven’t had a problem. I guess I’ll see tomorrow if or if not it lost anymore coolant. It may have just not have been completely bled

·
Super Moderator
8,608 Posts
Are they hard to install? And how much did you pay for yours? I’m thinking about doing one but I gotta get the fan working first lol.
I bought one today off his EBay store for $107

101 - 120 of 129 Posts