Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could cause this??? The radiator is getting oil in it.I'm guessing a bad seal somewhere but where?any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time,Grant

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts
What could cause this??? The radiator is getting oil in it.I'm guessing a bad seal somewhere but where?any ideas?

Thanks ahead of time,Grant
Probably at the water pump, IF the seal is leaking oil into the cavity between the water pump and crankcase and the weep hole is plugged..........

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
How long have you had the bike? Common ploy for unscrupulous sellers (and idiotic users) is to plug the weep hole with epoxy, silicone or JB weld if it's leaking, so the buyer won't know it needs new water pump seals.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So should I just take off the water pump cover and look in there.

I had it all apart not too long ago to change the clutch and it started doing it afterwords...I think I might have woke the sleeping bear.

I'll check it out.

Is it a simple fix???Do I have to take off the side case or just the little water pump cover???

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Go to Cheap Cycle Parts web site and look at there fiche new oem parts file for a water pump break down. You can buy a complete assembly or just the seals. If you rebuild the pump, make sure to replace the C clip.

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
Can you replace the oil seal from the outside? Can't on a Honda 450, my only experience with water pump repair on a quad.

·
Master of the Electron
14,544 Posts
Sorry, I should have looked at the manual before asking the dumb question - the Rappy's water pump is a two piece, completely removeable housing with both seals accessible simply by removing and disassembling the pump...

The Honda 450 has the back half of the water pump molded directly into the right case side cover, and the oil seal can only be removed by first removing the side cover - my mistake as this was my only water pump experience of late.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys,I'll check it out.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Sorry, I should have looked at the manual before asking the dumb question - the Rappy's water pump is a two piece, completely removeable housing with both seals accessible simply by removing and disassembling the pump...

The Honda 450 has the back half of the water pump molded directly into the right case side cover, and the oil seal can only be removed by first removing the side cover - my mistake as this was my only water pump experience of late.
We are all still learning. Your input on the forum stands on its own...

·
I am unique
22,619 Posts

Apoligy excepted, but please don't let it happen again..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts