Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil plug came out today on the dunes on my 07 raptor 700. Engine will not start now. It was making a whining sound like a worn out bearing. If worst comes to worst and I need a new engine about how much will that run me to get it running again and labor? Also if I need an engine any input on replacing it with a R1 engine. I do not know a lot about engine work so I would have to get an ATV mechanic to do this. Whats the cost I'm looking at with a raptor 700 engine as opposed to an R1 engine?

Thanks!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Rebuilding your motor is a way cheaper option than R1. Putting an R1 motor in is a pain in the ass to do right and not cheap and is alot more than just throwing the motor in. Also they are heavy as shit with an R1 in them and handle like a tank.

Price for rebuilding yours depends on what you want upgraded and what shit the bed without oil. Contact some builders I'm sure they could give you a good idea what you are looking at.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know of any atv mechanics in west Texas around the midland Odessa area? ( trying to stay away from the Yamaha House as they charge Way more than the shade tree atv maechanic). I'm just wanting to stick my stock engine I think , unless adding anything to the engine would be somewhat cheap while they are already in there. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I would just buy a new raptor but this one was my first one and I have a lot of hours into putting aftermarket mods on it. Sentamental value to me. How much would an engine rebuild be if I have to?

Thanks!

Thanks!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Rebuilding your motor is a way cheaper option than R1. Putting an R1 motor in is a pain in the ass to do right and not cheap and is alot more than just throwing the motor in. Also they are heavy as shit with an R1 in them and handle like a tank.

Price for rebuilding yours depends on what you want upgraded and what shit the bed without oil. Contact some builders I'm sure they could give you a good idea what you are looking at.
So it would feel like riding a Can am Renegade:D

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Engine will not start now.

Thanks!
More info. needed on this.
Will it turn over? Or is it seized up?

If it will still rotate and it was mine and on a budget, I would pull the cam out and look at it. Then pull the head and look at the cylinder and piston. Depending on how long you ran it dry you may be able to get away with new cam, rings and a cylinder hone.

If you are able to afford it I would replace all the bearings and SEALS! A new piston and rings. Also a new cam, go with a Hot cams since you're doing it. A new crank would be a great investment and I would strongly recommend a HR +5 over oem. Oil pump may be required.

I am not sure how much damage could've been done to the clutch. Get some others input on that.

Finally, I can't tell ya for sure on cost. I did my tear down myself. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
I get alot of parts on e-bay from BCS Performance. He has a 2011 Engine for 2000 free shipping I have a card worth anther 10% off if that helps. That is around what if not less to have someone rebuild yours and you still can sell your extra parts.

2011 YAMAHA RAPTOR 700 MOTOR ENGINE NICE VERY CLEAN LOW HOURS RUNS STRONG

Item condition: Used

Price: US $2,000.00

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I get alot of parts on e-bay from BCS Performance. He has a 2011 Engine for 2000 free shipping I have a card worth anther 10% off if that helps. That is around what if not less to have someone rebuild yours and you still can sell your extra parts.

2011 YAMAHA RAPTOR 700 MOTOR ENGINE NICE VERY CLEAN LOW HOURS RUNS STRONG

Item condition: Used

Price: US $2,000.00
Post a link for this. If its a complete motor that runs it will sell immediately.
Never mind, just found it. Thats a killer deal!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-YAMAHA...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f13a146fb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2010-Yamaha...Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc1ad06c7&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-RAPT...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d325d6f1b&vxp=mtr This one is an '07 so your TB will work!

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Does it turn over and freely with the starter? Try removing the big allen to get to the crankshaft bolt and try to turn it over. That is a pretty good deal but you may just need bearings. try posting a video and we can get a better perspective.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate all the help! Im going to try to find time to work on it this week and see if I can see what the extent of the damage is. When I push the start button it just whines and I can hear the exhaust does that mean it is turning over? I am not experienced with engine work. In the meantime if anyone knows of any West Texas ATV mechanics let me know!

Thanks!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Or does anyone know of anyone in North Texas (DFW or Texoma area) that rebuilds engines. I guess Im going to go ahead and use this as an opportunity to do some engine mods.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you hear or feel anything comming out of the exhaust it sounds like it's turing over but no compression. Seems like the first thing to have issues with no oil pressure is cams like to seize to the head (at least that's what happened in alot of motors I have seen ran with no or low oil). You might have jumped or borken your cam chain and that's what lead to it stopping Which I am not sure on the Rappy but some stuff the piston likes to meet the valves in a bad way.

My guess is that the bottem end of the motor is ok and you will probally need a head, cam chain, piston, and valves. Even if that looks like all it needs it still should be fully torn appart and have EVERYTHING inspected could have done damage to alot of stuff crank, oil pump, clutch... on and on.

If you go with a new or used motor I am intrested in your old one I need case halfs for my 06 Raptor.

Thanks,
James

1 - 13 of 13 Posts