Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was warming up my bike and bam there went the oil shot right out the oil filter seal it shot alot of oil out. the bike seems to run great just this happened today on my fresh complete rebuild engine and now is a rappy 686 big bore
anyone have any ideas beside it could be a clogged oil line could it be anything else. coolant is still intact with no oil in it. and no coolant in the oil this bike has all new parts and seals in it.
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design

Plant Tire Toy Vehicle Wheel

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Automotive fuel system Vehicle Wheel Tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive exterior

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
How cold was it? I had that happen once when starting at below freezing with a sub-par filter - oil viscosity and pressure went sky high and blew out the filter's seal.

Replace the filter and see if it repeats.

Reactions: Jaymzwayne

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How cold was it? I had that happen once when starting at below freezing with a sub-par filter - oil viscosity and pressure went sky high and blew out the filter's seal.

Thank you good sir it wasn't that cold out we were looking at possibly 52 degrees Fahrenheit

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Also another problem I'm stumped going is my one way bearing appeared to be making a grinding skipping across the gears kind of sound like a flywheel was missing teeth when I review it I don't see any marks on the gears all of the teeth are perfectly aligned and starter seems to spin just fine but it's acting like some teeth are missing off the flywheel in the starter is grinding on the flywheel I look at everything it's picture perfect no idea what this could be first time for something like this

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Have you checked the one-way clutch (it is on the back of the flywheel) for smooth operation in one direction and solid lock in the other?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you checked the one-way clutch (it is on the back of the flywheel) for smooth operation in one direction and solid lock in the other?
When I left that message I took out everything it's not showing me any problems with any of the gears the flywheel is not a problem their starters not a problem any of the gears in between is not a problem the only thing that's really making sense to me is the one way bearing is not gripping the crank tight enough could that be a possibility

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Next thing I noticed yesterday my battery was kind of weak I'm thinking maybe weak battery is not making that one way bearing grip hard and fast enough when my battery is fully charged today that bike fires right up no grinding no noise could that be a possibility maybe the one way bearing is imperfect. And is requiring the battery to be fully charged for it to work effectively has anyone had these types of issues the verify this

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Thank you my brutha i replaced the oil filter and I blew the oil lines out and now the oil is staying in the bike and not blowing out anywhere shhhhoooooo close call. glad that is resolved

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Great on the filter Keep an eye on the one-way... it may be nearing end of useful life.

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Does the engine start and run? It's on correctly then.

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
You can pull the intermediate gear cover and see if the flwheel gear freewheels in one direction, catches in the other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can pull the intermediate gear cover and see if the flwheel gear freewheels in one direction, catches in the other.
That's the strange part I turned it to the right it's free to spend I turn it back the other way with my hand and it gripped it tight and I can't turn it with my hand it's acting normal but only when the battery and the starter is trying to turn it it just sounds like a bunch of gears grinding on a flywheel with bad teeth I look at all my gears in there perfectly fine

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
The starter generates a lot more torque than you can... a chattering one-way is indicative of need for replacement - several good aftermarket units out there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reporting back with my findings it turned out absolutely it was a defective one way bearing that caused my issue lucky for me it didn't tear up my starter gear and flywheel to bag I was able to put another one the one today and now the bike starts just fine with no noise

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats! Now ride and have some fun, dammit!
Yeah I took it out for a good rip yesterday there's another yet small issue when I go to shift from 1st to 2nd when I use the clutch it doesn't want to jump into second right away but when I just back off the throttle shift from 1st to 2nd no clutch it goes right in. Means that using the clutch prevents me from shifting from 1st to 2nd right away I would imagine it's a clutch adjustment so I will be playing with that infamous adjuster on the shifter fun fun fun I don't have the live shifter Peg

·
Master of the Electron
15,882 Posts
Nothing infamous about it from my recollection...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts