Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still having problems with noises around my crankshaft/chain area. I completly removed my case saver to see if it would help... not really??? I have also removed the plastic chain guide and it didn't help??? I get a clacking noise and grinding noise from around the sprocket, I have a Renthal 15T on it. One thing I have noticed when I make a hard turn the clacking/grinding gets worse then lightens u when I go straight.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Sounds like something in not aligned correctly then. Is it possiblle that one of your sprockets are tweaked or maybe when you remove of them to replace it, maybe you did not put a spacer in its correct place or how about swing arm pivots bearings and or its pinnings [mounting] is thier play here?

It truely does sound like you have an alignment issue, mater of fact I am nearly 100% that it is associated to alignement! Take a good long look at it, I would be willing to be that it is something fairly simple and that you will kick yourself in the toosh when you find the problem.

Yet still another thiing that you can and should to, jack your Rappy up and place in gear, take a long srewdriver, put it on the side of the case in this area and have someone throttle it to see if thier is any internal noises that sound abit disturbing...the screwdriver used in this way will act as a physcians Stethsoscope, try it out....this is an Old School Auto Mechanic...trick!

Hope that this helps.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Have you heard it in Nuetral? Which would indicate engine noise. If it only makes noise driving, then obviously it's drivetrain/motion related. I would agree to check sprocket alignment... But you say louder when turning? Maybe your rear bearings are shot? Which would tighten or loosen the chain as you turned. Lastly, mine is a loud bitch too, I finally quit looking - as long as she ain't broke, don't fix it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I jacked the back end up and let it roll through 1st and 2nd gear.... no bad sounds, everything normal. I have loosened/ tightened the chain and it doesn't make a difference.... The chain is straight as can be and the sprocket is on there nice and flush on the drive shaft. everytime I take it out for a ride it makes the noise, must have to do with putting weight on it or something???

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Maybe a chain guide roller? Chain rubs harder with weight?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry for the dumb question but what is that??? When I accel. at full throttle, I get a really fast high pitched grinding noise if that helps diagnose any better?

·
Registered
556 Posts
I'm going to role with the fact you may have over tightened the chain at first and messed up your sprokets and or chain. If you over tighten them and get some good suspension action it will mess up the seating area of the chain and or sprokets. I'm willing to bet you switch them out "ALL OF THE PARTS" it will go away. I did this once on an older dirbike "KDX80" and it never would go away until I had to buy new chain and sprokets. The reason you over tightened is because it was not set at the tighest point of the sproket when you adjusted it.

M

·
Registered
779 Posts
Since you've tried the obvious stuff, maybe it's related to the bushing in your swing arm. Either it's got play in it and when you ride, the play throws the alignment of the chain out slightly. Did you ever come down off a jump in an awkward way and possibly jam the swing arm a bit? I would try jacking the bike up in the center and checking the swing arm. Grab the rear axle, one hand on each side and try moving it back and forth. There might be some more checks shown in the service manual. Also try giving the whole rear end a grease job, including the swing arm pivot and rear linkage pivots. See how it goes.

Marcel

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I worked on it for a little while last night and found a combination of things...

1. I could see the chain had been wearing on the stock case saver (plastic)
2. There was a bolt stickingout from the LTE exhaust kit that I could see where the chain had bit into it some, cut that off.
3. Noticed a mark in my aftermaket skid plate where the chain had been rubbing a little. (Nothing to really do to fix that.)

Now all it does it make a little bit of clacking on a sharp/full turn... otherwise it is good.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
stock case saver should be aliminum.... the guard is plastic. If you have the LTE's then you should have spacers. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts