Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some looking around, but can't seem to find what the rims are made out of. I know its aluminum, but does anyone know in specific what kind of alloy/metal/ they are? I have a new roomate, and he works for a company that does mass annodizing! :) tryin to figure out what kind of alloy the rims are. Thx guys!

·
Registered
91 Posts
It shouldn't matter what kind of alum. it is for anodizing... I'm a machinist and we machine different alum. and they don't get seperated. You just can't have any steel in there (broken tap etc...) that will ruin the batch. ;)

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
also it cannot be cast aluminum, the anodising wont work, has to be forged.. i have a guy that does this and he cannot do cast alum..

·
Registered
177 Posts
6061 alloy is commonly used for atv wheels. It has magnesium and silicon as alloying agents to the aluminum. The wheels we commonly see (stock, T9's, etc.) are extruded. I wasn't aware the form of aluminum (cast, forged, etc.) had an affect on anodising but maybe particular anodising equipment can only do certain types? I wouldn't think so since it's a simple electrical deposition process but I'm not familiar with the equipment used to do it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
cast alloys and steels are very porous (sp), and brittle, that could have something to do with it

I don't know what temps they bring castings up to, to anodize, anything that I have anodized at work is either made from an extrusion or flat sheet.

MK

·
Registered
91 Posts
we get all types of alum. anodized : 2024,6061& jig plate to name a few. you should have no problem getting your rims anodized :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
blue02r1 said:
we get all types of alum. anodized : 2024,6061& jig plate to name a few. you should have no problem getting your rims anodized :thumbsup:
cool thanks for helping out!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts