Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When riding this weekend I had something strange happen. while running on pavement or hard gravel and getting on it pretty hard, I'd get a skip in the driveline that felt like a chain jumping a tooth on the sprocket in 3rd and 4th. Didn't happen all the time and it would only be 1 quick jump. I stopped a few times and checked my chain, it was not loose. My front sprocket is new (first ride) and the rear has about 20 hours on it. Suggestions?

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
How used was the rest of your drivetrain. Rear sprocket and chain? If not much then take the new front off and make sure it's seated properly everywhere. roll the quad slowly back and forth to see if you can see anything out of Whack.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dropped from a 15t to a 14t in the front. The rear was new in Feb and doesn't have that many hours on it. I adjusted the chain as stated in the repair manual and it's still within spec and I'm a Nazi about lubing it. I didn't feel any clunking like I thought I would with a chain-skip... Maybe something in the clutch? It never happened on the trails, only when bombing down a road either paved or gravel and only a few times.... I can wheelie and spin out without it happening. strange!!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I kinda know what ya mean.. mine seems to do something similar to this while i run it on my ATV stand in the garage... idling in gear on the stand it will do it every now and then.. chain is lubed and everything seems to be perfect nothin bent, ect..

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could just be a miss in the engine, not sure. It doesn't happen enough to catch it. Glad I'm not alone. :)

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
well when its on the stand it definitly sounds like its commin from the chain area.. and i tightened it a little and seems better, but didnt take care of it.. drive perfect (pavement, ect.. ) just seems odd that it would do that

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can't see anything happening? Worn sprockets?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmmmm. Hopefully it's not serious for either of us!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had a 15t front and 37t rear with 22" tires. Not enough snot to get to top RPM's in 5th. I dropped the front back to 14t and still not quite there. Swapping the rear back to 38t to see if I can wind it up now. I've got the Trinity Stage-4 big 3 mods. I run 19" tires for ice racing so the 15/37 combo works better there and I'll just have to swap from summer to winter.
Just a head's up to people looking to swap sprockets and tires. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
me too

Found my chain jumping on the stand. Close inspection found one chian link was stiff alomost ceased up. Check yours out.

·
Premium Member
5,119 Posts
Have someone check the slack in the chain with you sitting on the bike. Sometimes it has a lot more deflection then when you check it without your weight on the bike.
I have heard this skipping sound when hill racing in the sand and when I reach down and check the chain with my weight on the bike it has more slack than it should and I re adjust the chain..........could be what your experiencing?

:beer:

Randy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.