Raptor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, went to Ocala and tried to kill the 450 :mp5:. I rejetted to the Dynojet 160L/165R 2 1/2 turns out. Rode with airbox lid on and off. On the flat dirt road the 450r was just pulling away. The rider is around 50 pounds lighter than me. Might have been the difference. The rappy went thru all the gears perfect no bogs until I got to the very top gear I got just a little sputter with the airbox lid on (two 1 3/4" holes drilled in the top of the lid). However, as soon as we hit the trails the rappy's wieght help keep the bike stable on the woops. The 450 bounces all over and the rappy leaves it behind. Anyone else trying to kill a honda? :mad:

Phil :metal:

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have got two friends I ride with that have the 450(06 and 03). We havent raced yet but plan to when we go on a trip to a big track around where I live. I will probably have to do some work though because I have got mine geared real low. I'll let you know how it goes though.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Raptorfreak, what mods are you running on your raptor? Those jet sizes sound way to big for a stock motor.

Anyway, read this post.

http://www.raptorforum.com/index.php/topic,5817.0.html

this will explain how to set up the stock carb properly.

My raptor has a full sparks system, those carb mods, L&A airbox eliminator and a K&N on it, and A YFZ450, with full exhaust, cam mod done, jetted, and open airbox, can't walk away from me.

I drag race a bit on the 1/4 mile, and the 450's launch way easier, while the raptor struggles to keep it's nose down. The 450 gets the launch, while I try and keep the front wheels down, and gets about 2 bike lengths on me, but if we do a rolling start, my raptor has no problem, keeping it’s nose in front of the 450. If the 450 is not tuned right, my raptor walks away from it, and each gear shift adds about 1 bike length between us. Even on my dyno, a 450 with hotcams, gasflowed head, jetted, full Yoshi pipe and open airbox, made the same HP as my raptor.

When the 660 is set up right, you need damn fast 450’s to beat it.

You need to make sure you run the right sprocket and tire combo. Running 22” tyres with the stock sprockets, will just see you loose.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Freez,
I've tried everything. I am running full yosh RS-3, K&N filter with outerwear and no airbox lid. I had to jet 160L and 165R. I live in Miami so altitude is not a problem. I've jetted it around five times trying to get it right. It seems to be running damn fast now. I won't know for sure until sunday when I can race them on the pavement in Clewestin. I don't have any trouble with the YFZ450. I will read your post on the carbs when I get a chance. Don't get me wrong, I am extremely satisfied with my rappy. I think I am just greedy. I hate honda's.

Phil :rocket:

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
The jet sizes you mentioned are probably very close, in mikuni numbers. But in dynojet jets you're astronomically rich.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure why you think that. Plugs are clean after 12 hours of hard ass riding. If anything I might be lean. With airbox lid on lots of backfires when I let off the throttle. I ride with the airbox lid off. I beat the YZF450 and stay with the 450's. I gonna try a rolling start this afternoon. I also have an aftermarket cdi box. What do you think? Any input is helpful. Just want to represent.

·
Registered
145 Posts
One thing....are you SURE they're dynojet jets? I have identical setup, Yoshi, K&N, no lid with 160/165 Mikuni's....mines not quite right yet, but it's close.....with the DJ's you're running....those are very big jets, but if it's working for you.......good :thumbsup:

·
Registered
251 Posts
I run DJ 160/165's with my stock raptor motor and sparks pipe, but the reason I can run such massive jets is because I don’t run an airbox. I have an L&A airbox eliminator, with a K&N, and it flows way more that an open airbox.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A buddy of mine has an 05 450r and we raced the first day I got mine and he spanked me what a suprise, not to mention the 8k in motor work the previous owner (his cousin) did to it, but as soon as I did a few mods like the sparks exhaust, the jet kit and a power commander, and a gytr pro flow filter kit I left his ass!

·
Registered
137 Posts
which reminds me I will never buy another gytr product ever again, they are cheap and worthless so I just went K&N on the filter.

·
Registered
735 Posts
now, gytr clutch components are rebadged hinson product...and they cost less.... :3question:

I hate 450rs, and am only loyal to yfzs because they are yamahas. end result is: there is no replacement for dispacement.

race a 450 up a long hill, show em whos boss.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts