Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I've had this '03 Raptor 660 for two years and it has been a dream to ride.
All the sudden today, when I shift into reverse, I can hear a change in idle sound. And when I try to move in reverse, the bike sputters and spits, like it's flooding out.
Put it back in forward gears, runs great.

I've heard about this but I cant' remember what the cause was..
Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Reverse rev limiter... ground the green / white wire that's down at the switch, in front of the output sprocket. I would guess that it was already grounded, but the connection has come loose.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Reverse rev limiter... ground the green / white wire that's down at the switch, in front of the output sprocket. I would guess that it was already grounded, but the connection has come loose.
If the connection (green and white wire) was previously grounded, this would totally eradicate the rev limiter, so if it suddenly has a bad ground, would the rev limiter not cause problems in all gears now...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
If the connection (green and white wire) was previously grounded, this would totally eradicate the rev limiter, so if it suddenly has a bad ground, would the rev limiter not cause problems in all gears now...........
If the original modifier left the green/white wire's plug attached to the reverse switch, and elsewhere spliced a new wire from the green/white to ground (in parallel with the switch) - in this case, if the ground connection is lost, the limiter will only come on when in reverse - it has just returned to the stock configuration.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
If the original modifier left the green/white wire's plug attached to the reverse switch, and elsewhere spliced a new wire from the green/white to ground (in parallel with the switch) - in this case, if the ground connection is lost, the limiter will only come on when in reverse - it has just returned to the stock configuration.
That would be dumb............:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey it's all fixed..
Turns out it was the park brake switch. I must have loosened up while I was installing a TrailTech computer on the handlebar. Tightened it back up and all is good..
Thanks much for the help..;)

·
Master of the Electron
15,680 Posts
Glad it was easy... but why did it only occur in reverse?

Willy - dumb or not, a lotta ppl do it that way - find the green/white anywhere, splice into it and ground the new wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts