Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i go out on the trail riding and the bike stalls out, i push the start button and get nothing. I let it cool down for like 10 minutes and it will start. it seems like when the bike gets hot it will not start again. i did short across the two large lugs on starter solenoid with big screwdriver and it started up. put a new solenoid in it today and the same thing happened again. any help would be great thanks.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Do you hear a CLICK when it WON'T start?

Does your reverse light work correctly when it WON'T start?

Does the temperature light come on while pressing the start button when it WON'T start?

Is the neutral light on when it WON'T start?

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
no clicking nor the neutral light is not on, just the temp light is on when you push the start button and i did ground the reverse wire so the light dont work any more.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could it be a bad cdi causing my problem?

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
No, not CDI... you say the neutral light is NOT on when this problem occurs. The bike will not start unless it is in neutral (or the clutch is pulled while in gear) - so if the light is not on, the CDI thinks you're in gear and won't provide power to the starter solenoid... have you tried pulling in the clutch when starting?

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
yes i did pull the clutch in when starting and i get nothing. it has a brand new battery and solenoid too. i did start this morning it only does it when it gets warm.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it has no limiters either if that helps.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
If you don't hear a CLICK, the problem is not the solenoid (which you now know because you replaced it with no success).

Okay, look down by the output sprocket. There are two switches sticking out from the case that normally have wires attached to them - a green/white (reverse switch wire) that plugs onto the reverse switch, and a light blue wire (neutral switch wire) that screws onto the neutral switch. Check this light blue connection. Is it loose? Also try grounding this connection to the frame or battery negative (you can use a piece of speaker wire), just touch the wire to battery negative and to the screw that holds the wire's lug to the switch... does the neutral light come on now? Does the bike start now?

Also, under the tank, up near the radiator, you should find a black/yellow and black wire pair with bullet connectors - the clutch switch wires... if you plug the harness pair of connectors together (the ones that go to harness, not the ones that go up to the switch), this should tell the CDI the clutch is pulled.... will bike start now?

If none of these work, then we'll need to make some measurements with a meter - do you have one and do you know how to use it?

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i checked the light blue connection and it was loose would i be able to just ground it to the frame and leave it there? the reverse wire is already grounded to the frame as well.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Yes, but that will make the CDI think you are always in neutral and the neutral light always on.

When you fixed the connection did the neutral light now work and the bike now start?

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yes it started and the nuetral light always worked and it runs fine until i will ride it for about an hour then it starts doing this when the engine gets warmed up. do you think it could be the starter itself doing it when it gets hot.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Your answers are not making sense.

Does the neutral light work properly and is on WHEN the problem occurs? Previous answer: "no clicking nor the neutral light is not on" Your current answer: "the nuetral light always worked "

Which is it? We must determine what is occurring WHEN the failure occurs. We can't troubleshoot a problem when it is NOT occurring.

Until you can answer all of the previous questions relative to when it WON'T start, we will be going nowhere.

Bottom line - if you understand the CLICK I am describing, and it does NOT occur when the problem happens, then it's not starter or solenoid. You said initially that the neutral light didn't work when this happened (no start), and that pulling the clutch wouldn't make it start when the neutral light wasn't working... but the temp light DID light up (when it wouldn't start)...

Now, when it DOES start normally - put it in gear and pull the clutch... will it start?

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I put the bike in 1st gear while holding in the clutch and nothing but the temp light came on, and when i put the bike in neutral it will start right up and the neutral light is on.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
So now, when it FAILS, you have to do the same things - is neutral light on, do you hear a CLICK, etc.

You did say, before, that when the failure occurred shorting across the lugs on the solenoid did start the bike, correct? That was when it WOULDN'T start with the button, correct? If so, it's not engine or starter and probably not CDI...

The answers to the other questions (when it's failed) will get us there. In the mean time, although inconvenient, you can at least start by shorting across the solenoid.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i am going riding this weekend and i will report back. thank you for all your help and sorry for the misconfusion Quadmaniac.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
No problem - troubleshooting by text is not the easiest thing in the world, beleive me.

There is one issue you should address first, though - when in gear, the bike should be able to be started via pulling the clutch... you state earlier that this does NOT happen, correct?

The clutch perch (assuming it's stock) has a switch that is depressed when the clutch is pulled. It has black/yellow and black wires that lead down to a pair of bullet connectors, also black/yellow and black wires... make sure these are connected. Also, as said earlier, if you plug the harness pair together, the bike will start regardless of being in neutral or pulling the clutch. So, if you can't make it start in gear by pulling the clutch, try connecting them together - will it now start in gear?

If you can get it to the point where it will start in gear, then, when it heats up and won't start (because the nuetral light is off) then it should start either by pulling clutch or by connecting those two clutch switch bullet connectors together. Just more troubleshooting help for when (if) you do get it to fail.

Since you said the neutral light had failed when the no start occurred, and we know the clutch switch isn't working, it would make sense that the bike wouldn't start. BUT now since you have tightened up the neutral switch connection - it is possible that the failure won't occur anymore (in neutral), AND repairing or modding the clutch circuit will make it work even if/when the neutral light is off.

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I do have an aftermarket clutch perch with avs levers,so i did plug the black/yellow and black wires together and now it starts in gear now. so now i hope that fixed my problem, i guess i will find out this weekend weather permitting i will let you know whats up.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Good luck!

·
Git-R-Done
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Quadmanic you are the man. went riding today and shut the quad off like 10 times and started perfict everytime. thanks again for helping me fined my problem.

·
Master of the Electron
15,070 Posts
Great! Glad to have helped.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts