Raptor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after some debate, I think I'm going to start working on my conversion and had a few questions. I know the frame will have to be modified and I'll have to weld in engine mounts, but what else is really involved with a build like this? I want to keep it as close to stock looking as possible, something similar to raptornut's 06 SE build. I don't have everything sitting in front of me, so these are just some questions off the top of my head before I start working on it. Thanks for the help in advance. I'll update this thread to ask / answer questions and add pics as I go.

-2006 Raptor 700 frame
-2004-2005 CBR 1000RR wiring, computer, and engine

-What type of radiator will work with this setup? Would the 700 radiator in the stock location do the job(I doubt it, but I'm hoping) or would I need to swap in an aftermarket setup?

-What type of problems am I looking at trying to line up the sprockets?

-I wanted to keep the tank in the stock location. I have a CBR fuel pump...am I going to have to build the fuel tank or can the 700 tank be modified? I want to stay away from the underseat tanks if I can since people have had problems with them.

·
2011 RF Fantasy FootBall Champ
883 Posts
Good luck on your build. I have to say that making a conversion bike look stock or even good for that fact is a large process. you will find out alot more as you cut the frame and place the engine in the hole for the first time.

Looking at the engine and space above it will tell you alot about the space left for the fuel tank. It Will have to be moded or replaced with a custom tank. i also know the engine will hang down below the frame. The air box is another area of concern. Can you say lack of space. You will be saying these words during your build. (maybe some other words too!)

Bigrig

·
Registered
72 Posts
Well, after some debate, I think I'm going to start working on my conversion and had a few questions. I know the frame will have to be modified and I'll have to weld in engine mounts, but what else is really involved with a build like this? I want to keep it as close to stock looking as possible, something similar to raptornut's 06 SE build. I don't have everything sitting in front of me, so these are just some questions off the top of my head before I start working on it. Thanks for the help in advance. I'll update this thread to ask / answer questions and add pics as I go.

-2006 Raptor 700 frame
-2004-2005 CBR 1000RR wiring, computer, and engine

-What type of radiator will work with this setup? Would the 700 radiator in the stock location do the job(I doubt it, but I'm hoping) or would I need to swap in an aftermarket setup?

-What type of problems am I looking at trying to line up the sprockets?

-I wanted to keep the tank in the stock location. I have a CBR fuel pump...am I going to have to build the fuel tank or can the 700 tank be modified? I want to stay away from the underseat tanks if I can since people have had problems with them.

I just got my Raptor 700/R1 conversion done and did some test rides. It's apart for powder coat right now.

- I used the stock raptor radiator, and it seems to work fine. I bought an in-line Modquad temp gauge to monitor the coolant temp. No overheating issues.

-As far as lining up the sprockets... This is very critical. I would recommend using some ratchet straps to hang the engine where you want it. Then use a laser level to line up the front sprocket with the rear. Then build the engine mounts around it.

- I am running the stock raptor gas tank, with my R1 engine, there was enough room. You can compare your fuel pump to a raptor pump...if it is similar, then you can most likely drill new holes to make your CBR pump work.
I'm not sure how tall your CBR engine is, but you may have to use a KFX 700 tank under the seat if the stock raptor tank does not work....or fab one up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a quick reply from my phone. This year 1000rr, you can't remove the airbox b/c of the secondary injectors. Also, my spare frame was tweaked a little more than I thought. May have to have it straightened. Doesn't make sense to buy a new one with the intent to hack it up. I might end up just going with an R1 motor since I would have more space. It may still fit though. Going to take measurements and see about getting this frame straightened first. Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After some searching around and checking the 1000rr service manual, it seems that Honda was one of the first companies to have the secondary injectors on the air box. I've only seen one conversion with a raptor 700, and it couldn't run stock plastics with the air box. I saw a trx with one as well, same issue. I did see a DS650 without it.

How are people running 2006+ motors? Carb conversion?

At this point, it would be easier to cut stock plastics and rework the frame than modify the fuel injection. I can always hold off and find a different motor if I have to.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah those secondary injectors rule though. i loved my 07 cbr. and woah, built54, just noticed your from farmington, I'm from bonne terre. how weird. Do I know you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im trying to a build with same motor... and I came across a guy that is making me a custom airbox to hold the secondary injectors. It will still be there but not near as big...less frame mod...he has a company called hard times custom atvs or quads ... i forget which.. he specializes in atv/bike conversions... hes south of st.louis...pm me and I can give u more info and hes doing a fuel box to... mine will be done in a few weeks... u can pm me or call my cell and i can explain it to you what hes doing to make it work and how much. (574)612-1814.. .im Ryan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts