Raptor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering getting the Raptor 125 as a dune machine for my son. He is currently riding a Xtreme Typhoon with a 125cc manual clutch motor installed. I am just concerend that the 125 Raptor may not have the power to pull the dunes. My son weighs in at only 70lbs and is getting used to the manual clutch. Has anyone had these on a dyno to see what kind of numbers they pull in comparison with a pitbike 125cc motor?

·
From The Stix 2 Da Brix
11,616 Posts
Can always mod the engine and gear down a tooth up front. It's not gonna be like the 700 but an raptor 80 pulled my 700 up a 300' fairly steep hill with my son steering 700 and me driving 80 it was in the mountains of Ky 700 blew a fuse that was only tow back to trail head. I weigh 240 plus the 700 with him on it may been 550 or so. So I'd say just guessing with big3 it'd pull a 70lb kid around fine but not 100% I just know the 80 pulled me and 700 up a few big hills to trail head.

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
A stock Raptor 125 has about 6-7hp. I think with gearing changes, intake, exhaust, paddles it would do good. You might be able to get 10-12hp out of it. Which doesnt sound like alot, but when the quad is that light, it makes it feel fast.

·
Premium Member
4,439 Posts
He might also grow out of it pretty quick depending on age also. Wouldent a 250 be better and just limit the thumb throttle screw so he dosent go too fast. Just an idea i wouldent want your son to get hurt. Just money wise do you have any problems selling it later and getting something bigger for him when he is older? Uhm might not be a good idea to put him on a 250 right away also just brainstorming here for what its worth!

P.S. Dont mind the pic its just to amuse the bro's on here LOL. I aint that crazy and this is a really serious question you have!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Check out the Honda 250ex. Has reverse and their sport clutch. You can shift with or without the clutch. Good for learning. Just a thought. I like the Rap 250 but no reverse. Seems kids need reverse when they don't think about where they park.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check out the Honda 250ex. Has reverse and their sport clutch. You can shift with or without the clutch. Good for learning. Just a thought. I like the Rap 250 but no reverse. Seems kids need reverse when they don't think about where they park.
We already bought a Raptor 125cc. I know about the Honda 250EX and they are heavy. My son already knows a manual clutch from his Xtreme so the sport clutch is no benifit.

I am debating between 5 or 6 paddle 18" Gliders or 6 paddle Haulers. Anyone haveany input on those?

We put a CRJ lowering kit both front and back, added G-Force 1 3/4 wider hubs and we are planning on a K&N and a full header/muffler.

·
Registered
85 Posts
:wow: Traitor!:eek::mad::eek:
:brick::chair::doublebird::loser::rocket::mp5::sniper:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Raptor 125 is an awesome quad for the dunes. We had a blast and didn't have to pull him out at all or turn him around because a dune was too steep. The quad exceeded my expectations and his as well. He loves the thing and can't wait to go back.

He was so excited because he went up a dune that was almost straight up and down and about 6 stories tall, I didn't know he was going to go up it, I was just at the top to watch for anyone coming over while he was going mid way up it then doing a big gradual curve back down, he go the top and yelled I made it!, it was pretty cool

The Xtreme Typhoon 125 we had doesn't even compare, it supposedly had the same hp but maybe the tq is up on the Raptor. The Xtreme really struggled and had a hard time with small dunes. The Raptor has really opened up a lot more riding areas at Little Sahara since it can go about anywhere.

So far the Raptor has a CRJ lowering kit front&rear, G-Force +1 3/4 rear Axle Hubs, GYTR Nerf bars & GYTR Heel Guards. We took the plastic handle bar cover off an put a Moose Fat Bars cover on and added a Billet Vent Cap. We ran a set of Skat-Trak 18" 6 paddle Gliders.

http://youtu.be/sKwuzyARBiY

http://youtu.be/DOy_xnPZris

http://youtu.be/Saw1UGQt90k

1 - 17 of 17 Posts