Raptor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son recently hit a tree with his Raptor 125 (he's okay). The tree hit in between his front bumper and the right front tire. Then tweaked the lower frame which offset the front tires by a few inches. So I brought the atv to a frame shop where they straightened it out back to near perfect.
My question is is that should I weld a gusset plate onto under the frame where the damage occurred to keep the frame from bending at that same spot again. Seeing that this area may be vulnerable to bend again? Or should I purchase an aftermarket skid plate for the quad that can be bolted to the lower frame? What are the pro's and con's of each?
In addition I already added on a Tusk front bumper that is wider than the factory bumper and should add some protection. I have attached a photo of the damage before it got fixed and circled the area that got bent.
Any help information is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
My son recently hit a tree with his Raptor 125 (he's okay). The tree hit in between his front bumper and the right front tire. Then tweaked the lower frame which offset the front tires by a few inches. So I brought the atv to a frame shop where they straightened it out back to near perfect.
My question is is that should I weld a gusset plate onto under the frame where the damage occurred to keep the frame from bending at that same spot again. Seeing that this area may be vulnerable to bend again? Or should I purchase an aftermarket skid plate for the quad that can be bolted to the lower frame? What are the pro's and con's of each?
In addition I already added on a Tusk front bumper that is wider than the factory bumper and should add some protection. I have attached a photo of the damage before it got fixed and circled the area that got bent.
Any help information is appreciated.
I would gusset that area for sure...and buy a gusset kit for the rest of it personally.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yes I would weld a plate on the bottom of the frame to keep it from ever bending there again. It may bend somewhere else when you make it strong there so I would fix the rest of the frame also without adding to much weight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts