Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2005 Yamaha blaster with a ton of aftermarkets (dg alloy front bumper, rental handlebars, toomey exhaust, bored .40 over, Scott grips, powermadd handguards, boysen reeds, new rims and tires, dg nerfs and custom grab bar). I'm wondering if I should get a raptor 250 instead. I know this is a raptor forum so all you guys are in love with raptors but please give me your honest opinion guys. Idc so much about speed, I just like power. I do alot of trail riding. What quad do you guys think would be better?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The Raptor definately has more torque. One of my friends has a stock Blaster...Its night and day in the trails if its kinda rough and twisty. Honestly it wouldn't be much of a difference from a Blaster though. It wouldn't hurt to look at a used 450 since you're experienced, it saves time/money in the long run.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The Blaster was faster in a straight race, but the Raptor 250 performed better on the track through the turns. You have to keep the revs high with a 2 stroke, and the Blaster is a 6 speed, so you shift more. 4 strokes have that low end power which is more forgiving. The reason the Raptor handled better than the Blaster was due to ergonomics. The Blaster stood higher, was longer and narrower. You can solve the ride height problem by putting lower profile tires on it. You can solve the width problem by buying an axle/a-arm kit, or spacers depending on what kind of riding you do, MX or trails. I wouldn't get rid of a Blaster to get a Raptor. If you want to upgrade get a TRX400EX, LTZ400, full out 450 race quad, or big ol' 700 Raptor.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I am partial to the 2009 Suzuki LTZ400. It is liquid cooled, fuel injected, good suspension, electric start, has reverse. It has everything you could want in a trail quad, and if you want to race in MX you can do so with a few upgrades. It is a little pricey, if money is an option you can always look for a 2005 Honda TRX400EX, but it's air cooled and carbuerated. The Kawasaki KFX400 and ArcticCat DVX400 are liquid cooled and carbuerated if you can settle for something in between.

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am partial to the 2009 Suzuki LTZ400. It is liquid cooled, fuel injected, good suspension, electric start, has reverse. It has everything you could want in a trail quad, and if you want to race in MX you can do so with a few upgrades. It is a little pricey, if money is an option you can always look for a 2005 Honda TRX400EX, but it's air cooled and carbuerated. The Kawasaki KFX400 and ArcticCat DVX400 are liquid cooled and carbuerated if you can settle for something in between.

+1

You don't mention your age/weight/riding style but I would think if you were looking for more than you are getting out of your Blaster (and you have put a lot into it) You need to think bigger than the 250.
The Suzuki 400 is widely considered to be one of the best all around sport ATV's and a great value used. It's not arm ripping power like the 700, but for daily trail riding or romping around with friends and the occassional race track - it's perfect.
450's are racier and need more revving and shifting to keep them happy.
700's drive like a lawn tractor on steroids - gobs of power, but not as zippy as a 450, they do best at the dunes or drags and I personally wouldn't ride anything else for desert trail riding.
So it really boils down to what you like to ride and how you like to ride it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I want something that I can trade my blaster for. I don't have money to add with it. No one out there with any 400 would trade straight up for a blaster

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well I want something that I can trade my blaster for. I don't have money to add with it. No one out there with any 400 would trade straight up for a blaster
I believe you're probably best off with your Blaster then since you've got so much into too, and you probably know how to ride that 2 stroke powerband. Honestly, a Raptor 250 isn't that far behind any stock 400, and since your Blaster is already pretty built it would be about equal to what you would end up trading for. Everything has its benefits and quirks I guess haha

·
Registered
635 Posts
Well what about the raptor 350? I found one that a guy will trade staright up for my blaster.
my friend has one, nothing to talk about really. It has reverse!!! ye-haw!!!:D

no seriously not that great it has a very slim hp difference from the 250 and it weighs more than the raptor 250 too(by like 70lbs)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I got to say being the level of built-ness you have your Blaster, it would be kinda downgrading to go to a stockish 250 or 350, you said you dont really have cash to beef it up at the moment. One quad that's kinda on-the-cheap that would be an upgrade power-wise would be a Banshee if you can find one that isn't too beat. They go pretty cheap.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
+1

You don't mention your age/weight/riding style but I would think if you were looking for more than you are getting out of your Blaster (and you have put a lot into it) You need to think bigger than the 250.
The Suzuki 400 is widely considered to be one of the best all around sport ATV's and a great value used. It's not arm ripping power like the 700, but for daily trail riding or romping around with friends and the occassional race track - it's perfect.
450's are racier and need more revving and shifting to keep them happy.
700's drive like a lawn tractor on steroids - gobs of power, but not as zippy as a 450, they do best at the dunes or drags and I personally wouldn't ride anything else for desert trail riding.
So it really boils down to what you like to ride and how you like to ride it.
im 16, i weigh 163 and i ride trails mostly. we ride tight turny trails and we will open up into a field every now and agin and ride roads when we have to but we keep on trails as much as possible. and the blaster is a perfect size but i want good low end power of a four stroke and a raptor 250 isnt any bigger than the blaster and has good low end power and still has a decent top speed for being a 250 four stroke. i was going to trade for a raptor 350 but idk now cause i hear they arent much different than a raptor 250 except the 350 has reverse. but power wise they are similar.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
and im not looking for more than my blaster. i dont want less by any means but the raptor im sure is a better trail quad than my blaster.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts