Raptor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Yamaha Raptor 350
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2008 raptor 350 and it runs and drives perfect, but as soon as I park it in the garage for the night and go look in the morning and there is a pool of gas under it. If I turn the gas off it won’t leak, and it doesn’t seem to be leaking while I ride it but would like to know what it is. I think it might be a float in the carb but I don’t really know what it is or what it does, some info about this would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The needle and seat are probably worn, and are not completely shutting off the gas flow into the float bowl when the float rises.
If the float heigth was incorrect, the needle and seat would still shut off the gas when the float was at it's highest point anyway, but the engine would not run well.
If there was dirt clogging the carburetor anywhere, then it wouldn't run well throughout the rpms, if at all.
I would get a quality rebuild kit, and use the needle and seat and float bowl gasket out of it, nothing else.
And...turn the gas off when you're not riding.

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
Another thing to do is to get a cue tip and white toothpaste. Remove the carb and the bottom portion of it. remove The float and the thing that hangs down from it is what will block the gas once it’s full. Put small dab of toothpaste on cue tip and polish it up, you will see black gunk on the cue tip. It worked on my yz250F when I had the same issue.

Reactions: Sixpack577

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Another thing to do is to get a cue tip and white toothpaste. Remove the carb and the bottom portion of it. remove The float and the thing that hangs down from it is what will block the gas once it’s full. Put small dab of toothpaste on cue tip and polish it up, you will see black gunk on the cue tip. It worked on my yz250F when I had the same issue.
+1, and "the thing that hangs down" IS the needle that goes into the seat.

·
Super Moderator
8,631 Posts
See, thats where alcohol is involved. I was just glad I could get that tip down right for the poster.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts