Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 yamaha blaster with a ton of extras but i was thinkning of trading it for a raptor 350. theres one where i live and i do alot of trail and it seems like my blaster is built too much for the trails. I was going to trade for a warrior but the one i like is way too far away from me and the raptor is basically a modern version of the warrior with the same motor. so what do you guys think? blaster or raptor 350? i know this is raptor forums so you guys will most likely say raptor because you love them but be honest, which one would be better? and here is the link to my blaster on craigslist...... http://elmira.craigslist.org/mcy/2316393814.html... and here is the raptor... http://elmira.craigslist.org/mcy/2319565086.html... let me know what you think. thanks.

·
Registered
4,097 Posts
List of what's done to the blaster would help..

·
Super Moderator
17,058 Posts
There's a list of the mods for both in the craigslist ads.

Your Blaster isn't too built for the trails but you may be in an area where you'd be happier with off idle power of a 4 stroke vs the high strung 2 stroke powerplant you have now.

IMO you're making a horizontal trade, not stepping up or down a significant amount just trading one type of midrange bike for another. The handling on both is lacking, though the 350 is a bit better but also heavier. It's hard to say which will fit you better, but again if you're looking at the 350 as an upgrade you may find yourself unimpressed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jsanders, if you look at my first post i put the link to my blaster which has all details. and mad dog i havent ever owned a 4 stroke. ive only ever owned my blaster. i ride all trails here. the blaster is just hard for them because i have to keep it reved up constantly to get its power. the raptor (4 stroke) has the power there already. i just want something with power and is easy to ride on trails and isnt a pain. ive rebuil my blaster a few times and i have to mix gas and what not with it, so its a pain. 4 strokes generally last longer and make great trail fourwheelers. i can trade my blaster straight up for a raptor and thats why im wondering what to do.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I agree with Mad Dog - your suggesting a sideways step instead of upwards. Yes, the 4-stroke will have some more low end grunt, but your really trading sideways, otherwise.

Honestly, I'd suggest the next step up would be to something like the Honda 400ex or the Suzuki LTZ400 - both will give you significantly better performance and handling than you are used to... The Hondas are just about bullet proof, easily modded for even more increased performance and can be found just about anywhere for $2000 or less, often with the big 3. That's why I own two.

Yammi just doesn't offer anything in this category - God knows I love my Raptor 660, but the 400 is a good stepping stone and isn't that far back.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
God knows I would love a 400ex! That's my dream fourwheeler. I love them. But no one around here would trade on for a blaster and I don't have cash to sweeten the deal. So all I got to upgrade to without waiting to find money is the raptor. It might be a sideways step but I want to switch to fourstroke and get use to that and upgrade myself from there. Besides the raptor 350 is worth more than my blaster any day. So I would make out better with the raptor I think.

·
Registered
507 Posts
ksl.com classified section sweet deals on used quads or really anything I just looked in less that 15 seconds I found 4 400's 2 honda and 2 suzuki each one less than $2000 maybe you could check there

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about a raptor 250? i know there power isnt much different than the 350 and they are even lighter than the blaster. i just want a good trail fourwheeler and i dont want to down grade from my blaster.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I would expect a Raptor 250 to cost at least as much as a 400ex as they're rather new - you can get a 10 y/o 400...

Also, I don't understand your original post - you state you can't afford a 400ex at $2,000 yet that's what the 350 in the CL ad is asking... Much rather have the 400 than the 350 for that price. Did he agree to lower his price or are you just hoping?

I suggest a little patience and you can find what you want. Sell yours for the max you can get and then keep looking for a 400. They are available at a bargain price sometimes. Example, I just went to craigslist here in San Diego and this pops up for $1,700 - sure looks like a great deal with tons of mods:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/2342155798.html

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would expect a Raptor 250 to cost at least as much as a 400ex as they're rather new - you can get a 10 y/o 400...

Also, I don't understand your original post - you state you can't afford a 400ex at $2,000 yet that's what the 350 in the CL ad is asking... Much rather have the 400 than the 350 for that price. Did he agree to lower his price or are you just hoping?

I suggest a little patience and you can find what you want. Sell yours for the max you can get and then keep looking for a 400. They are available at a bargain price sometimes. Example, I just went to craigslist here in San Diego and this pops up for $1,700 - sure looks like a great deal with tons of mods:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/2342155798.html
im going to trade my blaster for another quad, not buy one.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
im going to trade my blaster for another quad, not buy one.
Selling one and buying another, for the same price, is the equivalent; and you have way more buyers and sellers to choose from... but do what you think best.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts