Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my uncle has a raptor 350 2005 and it started ticking pretty good the other day so we were going to adjust valves but we also noticed it was burning a little oil and smoking a bit so we pulled the head off and cylinder and going to replace the valve seals and put new rings and get cylinder honed, well we cylinder looked good but we still dropped it off at machine shop rings actually look really good but going to replace anyways. the previous owner had put a stage 1 cam in it so we pulled it out and it looks good to so basically we ordered new rings and a gasket kit. but we have bought 2 dif spring compressors and no luck on getting those darn valve springs off we just cant get a grab on them.. what do you guys use or have any ideas? The bottom end moves so smooth so i am thinking its all good. so any advice when throwing it back together and also how do we set timing when putting it back together i know put it on the T but im talking about the top part. well thanks

·
Registered
7,128 Posts
I just did this... so its pretty fresh in my mind...

I used a deep "C" clamp on my valve springs. Then, with the timing, get the cam to TDC, and put the flywheel at the "T" mark, that means Timing, F, which is to the left of that, means Fire. Ge the correct valve lash, and break it in...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We've tried a c clamp but it keeps sliding off or I guess we need something that goes around it better. On the timing chain guide closer to front of bike. It just sits in that groove and that is it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got em off. And took the old valve seals out. We orderd new piston and rings and all new gaskets and valve seals so we should be all good as long as we can get it all put back together lol. Cylinder will b done Monday from getting honed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
damn thats not bad we dropped it off because we are waiting on the parts anyways, but they all came in today and cylinder will be picked up on monday, it was 20 bucks to hone it so not to bad,

we got all new gaskets and new valve seals new piston and rings and cylinder honed, lets hope we can get this thing thrown back toghether.

So what is the best way to get the little clips out that hold the piston on there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts