Raptor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , new to the forum . Absolutly brilliant on here , very helpfull ppl.
My situation is im a complete noob. But for sum reason want a quad really bad . Lol. Lukd through loads, narrowed it dwn to 2 . Yamaha 450/700. I live in uk, I will be using the bike for long country rides on weekends only
. Taking into consideration the maintenance and evrything ( because i dont know anything about these machines mehanically ) which one wud be best suited for me . .I.e Cost of running. Maintenance . General stuff . And which one wud be better for road
Iv got bout 3700 budget ..
Thankyou in advance
Chad

·
Registered
167 Posts
I don't know if you can get a 700 raptor for that but if you can that would be the machine it has a lot of torque so you do not need to shift near as often plus it has reverse so you can back out of a parking spot if you take it to the store and it is a lower reving motor so rebuilts won't be as often. The aftermarket is great with both machines and they both have proven reliable packages that have great performance gains and reliability is good too. But in the end unless you are into Mx or any other extreme racing I think the raptor is a better all around bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I really dont understand why people want to ride these on the street. With a solid rear axle, the two rear tires fight each other on the turns. I live in an area with literally hundreds of miles of gravel roads. Sliding around the corners is absolute heaven. I HATE it when I have to run a section of paved road. If I had to deal with alot of pavement, there are many other things I would rather be riding... think supermotard (and that is just the beginning of a long list of fun rides).

·
Registered
9 Posts
defiantely go for the raptor 700, i'm from UK also, scotland to be exact..

Its not so much about driving on the roads, its more about what we call greenlaning, these are country tracks that are classified as roads therefore to use them you need to be road legal, its not so easy in the UK to just find some land and go blasting about as most land is privately owned so its a big no no, also we dont have near as much space as you guys, so its either the proper mx tracks of which quite a lot don't allow quads or the road legal route and greenlaning...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I live in mid england, absolutely nowher to go off roading at all . . I had a 110cc pitbike , got cought by police for riding in woods, its a very big no no here in england, so they only way forward is riding on rd. And i wud get a supermoto but i gotta get bike license and all that . Just gonna take too long . . Rather just get a quad, i alread got my car license .
Any more info on maintenance guys . Lyk i sed i dont know anythin about these bikes apart from the model numbers. Lol . Need as much info as poss.

Thanx 4 the replies , much appreciated ppl

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
Hello mate. Welcome to the Raptor forum. As the others guys say, go with the Raptor 700. Having reverse is a big advantage over the 450 as well as all the other things. The 450's are also high maintenance. If you buy new Yamaha UK won't honour the warrenty on a road legal 450 but they will on a 700....kinda gives a hint that the 450s don't like it,

As for maintenance, if you stick to the road, you'll only have to do basic stuff like oil changes every 1000miles and similar. if you go green laning then you'll really need to keep on top of the seals and bearings as water and mud will find it's way in if you neglect it. Tyres wear quickly on the road. You'll be lucky to get 2000 miles out of a set of Slashers (the most common type you see on road legal quads)

I'm not a big fan of riding my on the road, it's kinda boring a draws the wrong kind of attention. I joined a racing club this year and it's so much more fun than green laning.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ur a legand dude. Thats wot im lukin , honest information. Cheers mate. . . So with servising , wot do u gotta exactly do , and how much wud it cost a month roughly, I wud only be duin weeken driving . ( no matter what weather condition lol) and covering about 100 miles per trip . Nice long drives up in country lanes . Not local over city roads. Thanx once again. U guys r brilliant .

·
The UK's fastest Raptor
1,188 Posts
I change my oil every 500miles or less. If I race or go on track days then I change it every other trip. You need 2 litres and a new filter, it'll cost about 25 quid a go.

You need to look after the chain. Lube it up before everytrip and after washing. a can of spray is about 15 quid and will last ages.

Cleaning the air filter is important too. Needs washing out and re-oiling very often. A can of cleaner will be about 25 quid and a spray can of oil will be about 15 quid. Both will last you ages. Putoline is a good brand of all the stuff you need and available from most quad/mx shops.

Rear wheel bearings are something you really need to keep your eye on if you go through lots of water. The seals dry out, wear out and then water gets in to the bearings and wrecks 'em. If you let it go too far it'll cost you more than just the new bearings and seal which'll cost about 60 quid. If you want genuine Yamaha it'll cost double that. Best thing to do is rip the back axle apart every few months and check it, or better, fit a gease nipple and pump frsh grease in regularaly which keeps the seals good. Don't be fooled by 'sealed for life' bearings, they're not water tight.

if you get a manual when you buy one you'll see all the other things you have to do. If you're good with spanners you'll be fine, if not you'll need to learn as quads are more maintenance than cars and using a dealer will cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank u so so much . . Iv made my mind up , rappy 700 it is . . I been thinkin bout ordering a 700 raptor manual off internet. Just to see wot its about . ( u see , i dont want to purchase a bike , and then later on get stuck with maintenance r something lyk that , thats why im duin all my homework now )
And I wudnt trust myself with a spanner r toolbox nooo chance . i can only jus manage to tie my shoelace lol. Id hav the bike in bits , and not Know how to put it bak .. Wen i get 1 ( hopefully early nxt year. Il probly see if i can get i bike mechanic who can do my maintenance cheks for me . . Sumthing along them lines . .
Wot u think????

·
Registered
542 Posts
The 700 has reverse, the 450 does not. take that into consideration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh , thats very true . . But it doesnt bother me bout reverse . . Coz i wont be gettin into tyt spots, il jus be using it to cruise round out in country lanes. 700 sounds the all round better bike for me. Big engine , less tention on engine . Luks more poised and lot bigger aswell . Im gonna just drop the suspension so its low . Im not gonna go offroading . .

·
Registered
156 Posts
GO WITH THE RAPTOR. the 450 you feel like you are riding a crotch rocket and all scrunched up on it. You can ride a raptor all day and feel like your riding a harley. The nice thing about the 700 is it is so easy to ride. The torque is always there and you can ride it slow and putt putt along or twist the throttle and your screaming. The engine does not work nearly has hard as the 450 to get the same speed. It is just a really comfortable ride all the way around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.