Raptor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got this 2005 Raptor 50 from a motorcycle auction about 6 months ago. Shop owner said it was submerged at one point. The oil was already changed and looks fine. I was able to clean the carb and get it running, but it only runs fine when in neutral. As soon as your put the bike into gear, it feels like the timing goes out of adjustment and the engine won't accelerate (see video).

I've checked the spark by ground the plug to the cylinder head which results in a blue spark. Changed the plug as well but that didn't do anything.

Found a bad rear brake switch which, according to the manual, needs to be engaged before the bike can be put into gear. Shorted the contacts together, but still didn't help.

Any ideas?

Video: http://s726.photobucket.com/albums/ww262/bergj1985/?action=view&current=Raptor50Problem.mp4

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion swissspeed, but if the jets were clogged, it would be affecting the engine regardless of if it were in gear or not. This problem only occurs when the bike is in gear. At idle, the engine runs fine.

Starting to think it's a CDI or a pulser coil problem as sometimes the bike takes allot of cranking to start.

·
RaptorPilot
602 Posts
If it takes alot of cranking to start, it could be your timing or it could be your valves you need to do a few things. 1 - check the compression. Run the bike to operating temp, pull the spark plug and check comp, it should be between 125 psi to 180 psi. 2 - If you get a low reading put a couple of drops of oil into the cylinder and run another comperssion check if you psi comes up alot you need rings. If not you need to adjust your valves, they may not be seating correctly. If your compression is good and your valves are seating, 3- check your timing. Let me know how it works out for you, also check the 50, 80 and 90 threads for your quads issues.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I received a new CDI last night, going to try it this evening on the Raptor. Also re-checked my shop manual and am going to inspect the neutral switch if the CDI doesn't fix the problem. Logically, it's the only component that lets the engine know the transmission is in neutral, so I'm thinking it could be that or maybe a combination of the CDI and the switch.

Will report back soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts