Raptor Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything that can be done to the 50 performance wise? It just seems to bounce off the rev limiter at a pretty low top speed. Come on guys, help me get another season out of this thing.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Been there, done that. Tired of fixing crap. I have some new Chinese junk for sale if you are interested.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im leaning towards the Polaris Outlaw 90... for only 400 bucks more then the Raptor 80, I can get headlights,tail light, reverse, better suspension,bigger tires, free helmet and flag. I would love to get the daughter a lil Raptor to match mine and my wifes, but Im thinking the lil Outlaw 90 is what were gonna do..

·
Registered
554 Posts
They have the Raptor 50 limited in the throttle slide and in the thumb throttle. You have to cut the top off of the slide so it can open all the way and grind the stop off of the thumb throttle. Then you have to buy an aftermarket CDI to raise the rev limiter up. We also put in a K&N filter, punched some holes in the airbox and took out the spark arrestor. It increased the top speed substantially but it is still gutless. It will not start out from a dead stop on any significant incline. Plus the stock suspension on the Raptor 50/80 is an absolute joke.

My son moved up to the Polaris Predator 90 and loves it. (gotta admit it is fun to hop on too). This thing hauls and the suspension is awesome. Absolutely 0 problems out of it through some rough riding.

The new Outlaw 90 chasis is quite a bit bigger than the Predator 90 though. Also the new Outlaw is a 4 stroke compared to the Predator and its peppy 2 stroke. You can buy a 2007 Pink Predator 90 two stroke still and my 7 year old is begging for one.

They are having an awesome deal on 2006 Predator 90 on closeout. My local dealer has them for $1829. I think I will pick her up a white one when I go in to pick up my new KTM 525 Outlaw that is supposed to be in this week. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE:
Installed the Pro-Circuit pipe, CDI box and carb kit from Raptor80racing.com. Huge performance difference.....
It now has more than enough guts to be fun and top speed to keep up with kids on 80's.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Procom, RMStator or big guns CDI, change the slider in the carb and the throttle cable connection in the throttle lever housing to the raptor 80 one. change the tires to the next size up (raptor 80 size) and your gonna see 25+mph. with the original tires about 22 mph.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadie's 50 would not go any faster than 12mph stock. We thought maybe it was the way she was riding it, not enough throttle etc. Amy jumped on and it went 12mph. Detuned for safety is something I can understand but there should be some easy adjustments mom or dad can make as the skill level comes up.
For the first time ever, I'm disappointed with a Yamaha product. It should not cost this much just to get it up to speed with other brands.

·
Registered
88 Posts
totally agree .... having to spend so much to improve the quad up to the level of others is nonsense. Its definitely time for Yamaha to do some needed updates to the raptor minis. I will say this about the mini raptors though, if you plan on doing some riding outside the backyard or race track environment they will hold their own under some rough riding conditions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
atvingnc said:
Procom, RMStator or big guns CDI, change the slider in the carb and the throttle cable connection in the throttle lever housing to the raptor 80 one. change the tires to the next size up (raptor 80 size) and your gonna see 25+mph. with the original tires about 22 mph.
Are you referring to the CDI's for the 50, or the 80?
(buying the improved 50 for the 50 or the improved 80 for the 50?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
you can use either one. the improved 50 CDI is going to be a drop in and the improved 80 CDI is going to have to be spliced into the wiring harness. the improved 80 CDI will give even a higher top end since it extends the rev limit another 1000 above the improved 50. I have the improved 50 installed on our raptor 50.

the gearing on the raptor 50 is very close if not the same as 2nd gear on the raptor 80. my sons 80 will do approx. 28mph in 2nd gear (improved 80 CDI, #80 main jet, holeshot tires, removed air restrictor), so I see no reason why the 50 with the same tire size and improved CDI would not be able to do close to or the same as this also. the problem with the gearing of the 50 is that it is slow to take off (or can have trouble on inclines) and this can be improved by removing some of the the clutch balls to allow the engine to rev higher before the auto clutch grabs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the help so far, the drop in sounds appealing since it would look clean when it is time to resale.
Are you happy with the drop in on the fifty?

I'm not looking for much, just a higher rpm so my son doesn't bounce off of the rev limiter when the time comes.

I see a stock 80 cdi on e-bay (~$50 total), but am leaning towards a drop in 50 (~$90) for the cleaner look. Stock 80 would be cheaper and achieve the same goal. What would you do?

·
Registered
88 Posts
unless your needing that extra RPM (couple of mph at top end) I would go with the improved 50 CDI (cleaner looking and easier to install). have you also done the carb. slider and throttle cable linkage change ? if you do these I would highly recommend you put 2" wheel spacers on the front and back of the machine. the lug type are the least expensive (about $90 for all the wheels). these make the machine much safer for the added performance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
50 CDI upgrade, got it.
Wheel spacers if I do other mods, got it.

No, I haven't done anything to it yet since we just purchased the bike and my son has only had it out once.
I have a glitch in my system that doesn't allow me to leave anything stock so upgrades and mods are on the way.
The carb slider, rejet and throttle linkage change are in the future- but the CDI seemed easiest for now.
(is the rejet necessary for the gains you listed below?)

One last question- which screw is the idle screw? I know that might get a laugh, but I'm used to messing with Kawasaki 4x4's and their idle screw is always easy to get to and a seperate knob. Looking at the little yami carb has me wondering which it is.

Thanks again for all the help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Ya ... I have the same glitches in my system.

screw closest to the carb. air intake is the idle mixture. on our R50 this is covered by a rubber plug, on the R80 its covered by a metal plug. the next screw to the right is the idle speed.

I use worldofcycles. I have found it to be about the best on prices and shipping delivery time. go to web site. look in left column for PARTS FICHE ... select this and then go to the lower part of the new page and enter quad info. and it will take you to the parts list.

rejetting is not needed but probably does add a small amount of performance. I changed my jetting to #80 for the main and #12 for idle (requires some adjusting of the idle mixture and idle speed screws). the #12 is stock for the R80 but the #80 main jet is from a 1991 yamaha badger 80 (available at worldofcycles).

some people choose to cut the slider and grind the throttle lever but I just purchased the ones for the R80 and replaced them on the R50. whatever you choose make sure to order gaskets for the carb. slider cover, and if you rejet for the carb., the float bowl. I was unable to get either off without destroying the gaskets.

good luck

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.