Raptor Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probaley a dumb question but what would be a good rear sprocket size 39/natural,41/natural, or the 42/natural. And all so confused on the chain it has all these different options and i idk which one to pick. Thanks :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
Gearing all depends on your riding conditions. A lot of sharp turns with slowing down and speeding right back up, you probably want to keep your RPM's high so that you can shoot out of the turn. If gearing is the same as on street bikes, if you go 1 tooth down up front it's the same as going 3 teeth up on the rear. IMO I'd just stick with changing the front sprocket because it's cheaper.
Here's a gearing sticky that will probably help you out.
http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1354

·
Registered
505 Posts
depends on type of riding and size of rear tire. Im running 14/40 with 22" Razr2s but I ride out in the desert where I need more top speed on open land.

·
Master of the Electron
15,627 Posts
Have you topped out with your current sprockets? What are they and at what speed (GPS helps here)?

If you want more, drop a tooth or two on the rear, or raise a tooth on the front - this will only work if you are topping out due to the speed limiter, not if the engine has run out of power.

Air drag is the killer at top end - power required to overcome air drag goes up as the CUBE of velocity, so to gain a small increase in top speed requires a large increase in output power.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
My setup on the oval tracker is 12 - 48 with speeds of around 80 mph, but the motor wll rev quite high............

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if i wanted more top sped what sizes would i use and if i wanted more acceleration would i use?

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So if i wanted more top sped what sizes would i use and if i wanted more acceleration would i use?
Bigger front sprocket, smaller rear sprocket...........more top speed.........:D

Smaller front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket...........more acceleration:D

·
Master of the Electron
15,627 Posts
Did you not read my post?

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
I went to a 12 front 42 rear and with my 22" paddles I could not keep the front on the sand when I got on it from a dead stop. Changed back to the 13 and I can deal with what I have.

·
Registered
18 Posts
im running a 12/44 with 20" tires..... i like the low pull went lugging through the woods, but out in the open like in a field..... if you hammer it, you better be holding on and ready cause the front end comes up in 1 through 3 no problem what so ever..... i still have decent top end...... with the vapor trail tach im wide open in 4th gear at about 9300 and doing close to 60mph. i might go back down to a 42 though or put a 13 on the front, like i said if your not paying attention, or just hammer it, it is very easy to wheelie it over.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is probaley a dumb question but what would be a good rear sprocket size 39/natural,41/natural, or the 42/natural. And all so confused on the chain it has all these different options and i idk which one to pick. Thanks :D
hey , i found my setup suitable for my off road races . i am 38 and riding my raptor 660 for a year . i am new to quad races . my setup is 14\43 . stage 1 ca, wiseco piston . FMF pipe . pro design intake system . 47 Hp!20" kenda knarly's rear. today i dragged a 24 year old lad with a stock limited 700R edition with power comander. the 660R being heavier out ran the 700R . 660 raptor top out at 120.6 km . what pleasure to ride! the setup gives me ample speed and power , it's gold for what i need .
good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
stock sprockets are 13 tooth front 40 tooth rear and i can get 140 km/hr with stage 2 jets, k&n velocity intake, full fmf header exhaust system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bigger front sprocket, smaller rear sprocket...........more top speed.........:D

Smaller front sprocket, bigger rear sprocket...........more acceleration:D
Alright what would you guys recommend as the perfect front and back sprocket combo. I want more acceleration but dont want to lose a crazy amount of top end, id still like to top out at around 65-70 but i want to get there faster.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,765 Posts
Drop to a 13T only on the front, keep rear stock.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I'd go up to a larger rear sprocket instead of dropping to a smaller front sprocket. The front sprocket has considerably less teeth. so the more teeth you can keep on it the more teeth you have to spread the load / wear over. It also keeps the ability to go lower with a simple front sprocket change.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts