Raptor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I replaced 2nd gear in this 660 a month or so ago. And, while I had it apart I took the cylinder to a buddy to have him check it out. He said it was worn beyond specs. I don't remember how much tho. But the owner didn't want to pony up more money to fix that at that time. My buddy said that it would run fine for a while, maybe a little noisy. So it' all back together, the owner has had it out and riding a couple times. Everything is fine he said. He brought it back yesterday for a new chain and sprockets. He started it up and it smoked alot. Blue smoke. He said that it hasn't done that. Well, I fired it up yesterday and it smoked alot when it first fired up. Then it kinda petered out. It would blow a little with a burst of throttle. What seems to be the cause? I'm thinking that it might be the valve guide seals??? IDK. I have some new seals that came with the gasket kit when I did the trans. What does it take to change those seals? Valve spring tool? Any thoughts, advice? Thanks! :laugh

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,177 Posts
Yep, valve guide seals. IDK if there's room to do the work without pulling the head. If you try, get or make a air fitting to fit the spark plug hole. I've taken a old spark plug, break out the ceramic and weld/braze a air fitting to it. Pressurizing the cylinder will hold the valves closed after the cam is out and you remove the valve keepers. Or, pull the head and I've use a standard, full size compressor on 700's. Speaking of 700's, I found the casting where the seal mounts is easily broken off. Just be careful. If you pull the head, I would at least lap the valves.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, valve guide seals. IDK if there's room to do the work without pulling the head. If you try, get or make a air fitting to fit the spark plug hole. I've taken a old spark plug, break out the ceramic and weld/braze a air fitting to it. Pressurizing the cylinder will hold the valves closed after the cam is out and you remove the valve keepers. Or, pull the head and I've use a standard, full size compressor on 700's. Speaking of 700's, I found the casting where the seal mounts is easily broken off. Just be careful. If you pull the head, I would at least lap the valves.

Alrighty thank you. I think I would just pull the head. It isn't that difficult and probably safer.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,177 Posts
Besides a valve spring compressor you should have a pencil type magnet to remove and install the keepers. When installing the seals a little spit helps them slide easier. Just not mine, haha!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts