Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a stock 01 raptor 660 with a full hmf exhaust I live at around 1600ft and am having trouble tuning the carbs I put 145 and 150 mikuni mains in and turned the fuel screw on the left carb 2 and a half turns and on the right turned 3 full turns but still had low end bog and out of nowhere doesn’t want to start at all HELP...

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Both carbs need set the same, with the exception of the main jets.
The main in the right carb should always be one size larger than the left.
Is the airbox lid still on?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also have a problem when I let off the throttle after giving it full throttle usually in 5th gear it will pop multiple times in the exhaust and sometimes kill the engine

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
You richened the jets... why? At your elevation you're marginally rich with stock mains.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It’s running now with a little bit of bog when giving it light throttle in 1st and second gear but still having the backfire issue on deceleration when it sometimes will kill the motor

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Typically, backfire on decel implies too lean in the pilot (idle) circuit. The common fix is turning the fuel screws out (CCW) 1/4 or so turn each.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I turned out my pilot screw half a turn but still have the backfiring and today it killed the engine but it doesn’t always kill it :(

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Could your pilot jets be plugging up? When and how were the carbs last cleaned?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put a brand new carb on about a week or 2 ago so I don’t think the jets are clogged they were brand new

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Uh oh... shoulda told us that in the beginning! If they're eBay cheapies you better take em off and just clean and re-install the originals.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My old one had a sticky float and needed the left side rebuilt so I figured I’d just get a new one but I’ll rebuild it and see how much of a difference it makes

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Its all just cleaning... the hard parts never wear out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rebuilt the carb and now just waiting on intake boots hopefully it fixes it but I think I might have an air leak from the header pipe

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One of the header studs was broken off and it looked like it’s going to be difficult to remove it

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
One of the header studs was broken off and it looked like it’s going to be difficult to remove it
Is there anything sticking out or is it broke off flush?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
It’s broken off flush to the head idk how I’m going to get it out
Couple options really. Google "screw extractor" and you will see several different styles. I prefer the type that come with a drill bit but thats simply my preference. Dont forget to get a t-handle for the extractor if you use that style

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts