Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was riding last weekend and we rode for about 5 hours. after a few hours my bike randomly started just boiling out the overflow coolant everywhere. my TEMP light never came on and neither did my fan. was wondering the first steps to find the problem. pretty new to this whole thing. but also hasnt happened and i also noticed my fan not coming on for some time but people were telling me its probably not hot enough.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,598 Posts
With the motor warm and running, look in your radiator and rev the motor;

Bubbles indicate a blown head gasket.
Increasing turbulence indicate water pump is working.
After that you'll need to test your fan switch, fan, and thermostat.

·
10,598 Posts
You can delete your other thread on the same subject. You only need one.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
I deleted other thread, but check those items DEZ listed and report back please.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry for late response. I checked the radiator and when I turn it on and open the cap to radiator it is flowing around in there. I checked the fan and jumped it with a paper clip with the key on and it starting working. So I was thinking the temp sensor was bad so I changed it and it is still not coming on and it boiled over again when just idling. But if I drive it then it’s good. But the fan won’t come on. The fan used to come on I live in Florida and ride around every weekend and it used to come on but not anymore. I heard someone say something about running the fan to a toggle switch but I rather do it right. Is there anything else I should look at? Wiring?

·
10,598 Posts
Sorry for late response. I checked the radiator and when I turn it on and open the cap to radiator it is flowing around in there. I checked the fan and jumped it with a paper clip with the key on and it starting working. So I was thinking the temp sensor was bad so I changed it and it is still not coming on and it boiled over again when just idling. But if I drive it then it’s good. But the fan won’t come on. The fan used to come on I live in Florida and ride around every weekend and it used to come on but not anymore. I heard someone say something about running the fan to a toggle switch but I rather do it right. Is there anything else I should look at? Wiring?
How did you jump the fan with a paper clip? Asking for a friend.

There's a circuit breaker and a fan relay. You'll need your manual to test them.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Dez, you unplug the connector from the thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator, and short across the two contacts in the connector.

The fan seldom needs to come on while riding, only when idling for long periods or when riding under extreme load. In your case, Glock, you proved it is all working by shorting across the connector... are you sure you got the correct thermo switch - there are two different temps.

·
10,598 Posts
Dez, you unplug the connector from the thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator, and short across the two contacts in the connector.
Yeah, I know about the thermo switch, but he said he jumped the fan. I wondered if he put 12v to the paper clip.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

The fan seldom needs to come on while riding, only when idling for long periods or when riding under extreme load. In your case, Glock, you proved it is all working by shorting across the connector... are you sure you got the correct thermo switch - there are two different temps.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FAN-THERMO-SENSOR-SWITCH-FOR-YAMAHA-YFM660R-RAPTOR-660R-2001-2005/272146158300?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thats the switch i bought. i dont know if there is something else i can try? or maybe its not the switch idk? but 100 percent for sure that when i turn the key on and pull the plug from switch and put the paper clip and jump the plug it turns on like a champ. i just dont want to blow my heads or anything. is it in my best interest to just wire the fan to a toggle switch? i dont want to but seems like my only option.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
We believe your problem is elsewhere - perhaps water pump, thermostat, head gasket?

Let quad sit at idle with a sheet of paper over the radiator. After anout 20 minutes the fan should come on, stay on for 2-3 minutes then go off; repeating every 5 minutes or so.

If you are bubbling out fluid something is wrong! Leave the fan shorted/running and I'll bet it will still boil out - something else is going on.

Dez - "pull the plug from switch and put the paper clip and jump the plug"... as I said.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We believe your problem is elsewhere - perhaps water pump, thermostat, head gasket?

Let quad sit at idle with a sheet of paper over the radiator. After anout 20 minutes the fan should come on, stay on for 2-3 minutes then go off; repeating every 5 minutes or so.

If you are bubbling out fluid something is wrong! Leave the fan shorted/running and I'll bet it will still boil out - something else is going on.

Dez - "pull the plug from switch and put the paper clip and jump the plug"... as I said.
okay so if i do that and the fan still doesnt come on then what should i start with water pump? or is there ways to try and eliminate one by one? i wanted to ride this weekend but dont think it will happen. as long as i ride tho it dont get hot plus the weather is a little cool right now. if it was the head gasket i would have oil and water mixture? or smoke or something right? but anyways can you give me as much info on what i should do next. but im 100% sure the fan wont come on but i will try it tonight

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

okay so if i do that and the fan still doesnt come on then what should i start with water pump? or is there ways to try and eliminate one by one? i wanted to ride this weekend but dont think it will happen. as long as i ride tho it dont get hot plus the weather is a little cool right now. if it was the head gasket i would have oil and water mixture? or smoke or something right? but anyways can you give me as much info on what i should do next. but im 100% sure the fan wont come on but i will try it tonight
https://youtu.be/18kTy5PxoE0 That’s the video of me doing the coolant full and hitting throttle. Is that head gasket? Water pump good?

·
10,598 Posts
You can test the thermo switch in a pot on the stove with a thermometer and VOM. The switch should turn on somewhere around 210-220. Check your manual for the correct temp.

Again, check coolant in the radiator for vigorous turbulence when the throttle is revved. Little to no turbulence indicate a bad water pump.

Bubbles in the radiator indicate a blown head gasket. NO, there wouldn't be water in the oil. The leaking gasket will pressurize the cooling system with bubbles from compression. When the radiator cap is on, this pressure opens the cap that then bubbles in the overflow tank. These bubbles appear that the coolant is boiling, but isn't.

Can you ride? Don't ask me! Can you afford a new motor, instead of a head gasket or water pump?? Why not use the time to troubleshoot or repair the problem.

·
10,598 Posts
I thought I saw bubbles. Drain about 1/2 cup of coolant so it doesn't splash out the top, and do the rev test again but hold it foe 3-4 seconds.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought I saw bubbles. Drain about 1/2 cup of coolant so it doesn't splash out the top, and do the rev test again but hold it foe 3-4 seconds.
Okay gonna do that right now then take another video. So take out the switch and put it in a pot of boiling water at 220 degrees? And what did you mean about can I ride? Is it best to not ride it? It doesn’t get hot if I ride but I won’t ride if it isn’t good. I have the gasket coming it will be here Tuesday. I added picture of gasket

Attachments

·
10,598 Posts
Okay gonna do that right now then take another video. So take out the switch and put it in a pot of boiling water at 220 degrees? And what did you mean about can I ride? Is it best to not ride it? It doesn’t get hot if I ride but I won’t ride if it isn’t good. I have the gasket coming it will be here Tuesday. I added picture of gasket
Connect the meter to the switch, put the switch in the water, THEN heat the water till the switch trips the meter. Then look at the thermometer to see the temperature.

Can you ride?? That's up to you. I can't make that decision., but it could cause more damage!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did it and I defly see bubbles. Does that automatically mean head gasket? https://youtu.be/qUrnLuiZtII I have it ordered it will be here Tuesday. I included a picture of the one I bought. That’s the right one?

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Connect the meter to the switch, put the switch in the water, THEN heat the water till the switch trips the meter. Then look at the thermometer to see the temperature.

Can you ride?? That's up to you. I can't make that decision., but it could cause more damage!
What kind of meter do I need? So I just need to get a thermometer and get the water to boil at 220 then put the switch in the water with what switch? I’m really trying to get it done. But honestly think it’s the head gasket.

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Bubbles mean head gasket - odds are 99%... too bad, but that explains everything.

Your fan circuit is probably fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bubbles mean head gasket - odds are 99%... too bad, but that explains everything.

Your fan circuit is probably fine.
Okay well I’m changing head gasket. I have the OEM gasket but people are telling me not to use OEM and to use after market so I order a COMETICS gasket kit. Or should I just use the OEM

1 - 20 of 27 Posts