Raptor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Raptor 660 runs fine standing still. Revs up like normal. Then when I put it in gear it will lunge forward and sputter. It does the same in reverse. I have all the connections for parking brake an reverse switch connected. I seem to remember some sort of cut out or switch problem from this but my brain isn’t working very good right now.

·
Master of the Electron
14,824 Posts
How about some history... when did this start? How did it run before? What led up to the issue, etc., etc.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a quad that I completely rebuilt. Was running fine. Just started doing this. It seems like the reverse limiter or the clutch switch in the parking brake. I’m looking for the issues with these or how to bypass to test if that’s the problem. Not fuel related.

·
Registered
613 Posts
If it "lunges forward and sputters when you put it in gear", to me that sounds like the clutch is out of adjustment or bad.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No it’s fine with the clutch in. It sputters when I let the clutch out and try to accelerate. Not a newbie here.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction on the electrical issues with either the reverse limiter, or the clutch park brake switch. I know there were issues with these. I put all the wiring back to stock when I rebuilt the quad. I put a new clutch brake on it, the PO had it bypassed. I’m pretty sure there is something in the safety circuit causing it to cut out and sputter. Carbs are new and tuned. The bike ran fine and all of the sudden started doing this.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Oh ok on the clutch.
I'll let Quadmaniac answer your electrical questions, he knows those 660 fixes from memory, I have to look them up.

·
Master of the Electron
14,824 Posts
Either of the limiters will prevent the engine from exceeding a low RPM regardless of whether you are in neutral in the garage or out riding... if yours revs fine in neutral it's not a limiter, but just in case, ground the green/white and unplug the green/yellow wires.

99% it's carbs and it starts sputtering related to a particular throttle position... find out which position and you'll know which carb circuit is acting up.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I’ll take a look at the carbs. It’s only doing it when I load it down. Starts to take off then sputters. If I push the throttle past the sputter sometimes it will take off. Feels like a pilot circuit problem but in my experience I’ve never had one just sputter and die on throttle opening thats why I thought it was a limiter.

·
Master of the Electron
14,824 Posts
But, where in throttle does the sputtering begin?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It starts to move forward and as I give it throttle it starts To sputter. It’s very little throttle...maybe 1/8th. I played with the pilot screw settings and was able to take off but still sputtering. It seems like you are right about fuel issue. This quad is built up with stage 2 cam, high compression piston, carb and intake mods. The carbs are new a short time ago and I had it running good with proper jetting. Given the mods it’s always been a little finicky, but this sputtering is a new one.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I remember you building that thing. I also remember being jealous of some of the cool stuff in your shop!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Master of the Electron
14,824 Posts
Your pilot jets (and perhaps passages) are plugging with varnish... most likely.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts