Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
you are going to need a better description of the noise. a general area from where it coming from will help.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Describe HOW it 'doesn't want to start' - what happens, under what circumstances - be verbose.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
i have a raptor 660 01 it have gytr pipe k&n air jetted its was running fine till today but when i start it now sometime it dosnt want to start and when it does it have a ticking noise someone plzz help
Could be anything with this description, you will have to be a lot more descriptive then what you have mentioned, it could be anything with what you have said to loose valve adjusters, to exhaust leaks, etc...........

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
i had a ticking sound on my 03 raptor,and it ended up being that the timing chain was sloppy and needed to be replaced
Which wouldn't cause an intermittent no-start.

·
Premium Member
3,166 Posts
so its hard to start, it ticks, and the valves have been adjusted...we are off to a good start....only about 10 more pages and we might get a full description of the problem from this guy :D

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
ETHAN - as you've been told several times now, don't tell us what you 'think it might be' - tell us EXACTLY what the symptoms are, what does and does not happen and under what conditions. Until you do this, we can't help you.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
ETHAN - as you've been told several times now, don't tell us what you 'think it might be' - tell us EXACTLY what the symptoms are, what does and does not happen and under what conditions. Until you do this, we can't help you.
I agree, it doesnt help us when you say it sounds like this or that, tell us the symptoms of your problem, Not your diagnosis............:)

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Ethan - this is my last attempt. Let's concentrate on one thing at a time - starting is the primary issue... once it's resolved, we can deal with the phantom 'ticking'.

We want to hear something like this.

When I press the start button, occasionally the starter will not turn, but I hear a click under the seat.

or

When pressing the start button, sometimes the engine turns over very slowly, yet at other times it turns and starts normally... it appears to be turning slowest when hot.

or

Sometimes when I press the start button NOTHING happens - no cranking, no sounds of any kind, other times, the starter cranks as usual.

Etc., etc., etc.

Do you see how the descriptive language above helps us SEE the symptoms? You are our eyes, without descriptive language we can't see the issues... pretend you are telling a story.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Ethan - this is my last attempt. Let's concentrate on one thing at a time - starting is the primary issue... once it's resolved, we can deal with the phantom 'ticking'.

When I press the start button, occasionally the starter will not turn, but I hear a click under the seat.

or

When pressing the start button, sometimes the engine turns over very slowly, yet at other times it turns and starts normally... it appears to be turning slowest when hot.

or

Sometimes when I press the start button NOTHING happens - no cranking, no sounds of any kind, other times, the starter cranks as usual.

Etc., etc., etc.

Do you see how the descriptive language above helps us SEE the symptoms? You are our eyes, without descriptive language we can't see the issues... pretend you are telling a story.
Come on Quad, can't you figure this one out? His bike needs a new battery and a flea & tick collar.
-sorry, couldn't resist.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts

or

or

Etc., etc., etc.

You get so technical Quad, but nice to see..............:D:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
And you need to adjust more than one valve....:) But really, if you adjusted the valves I'm sure you pulled the rest of the head off???? Ethan, you gotta help us out here.
I just watched the video and maybe it is the valves that are causing that, my sound quality isn't the best on my laptop, but your best bet is to pull the head and valve cover, that will tell you if your problem is in your top end. Or just pull your inspection covers, you should be able to see a bit from that.

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
I give up.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
here a vid
Ok, I listened to the video and here's my thoughts. You have a few issues and they need to be addressed one at a time. first the difficult starting problem. Check the Battery voltage on the battery if it checks out ok then see if you're losing voltage on the red battery cable to the solenoid by testing voltage at the solenoid with and then without the start button pushed. Check it again at the starter to see if the long cable is good. I've seen many Raptors with bad battery cables especially the short one to the solenoid (a temporary fix is to twist the red cable tight on itself until you find a replacement).
The ticking could be in the top end but also sounds like exhaust leaking. check and set the valve clearance if you have not done this yet and see if that improves (the shop manual will show you how to do that, it's pretty simple on the Raptor motor).
The Throttle response...The bike may not be responding to throttle if the outside temp was below 40F and the motor had not warmed up. I didn't go back to read where you were and under what conditions you were starting the bike. If the outside temp is 50 and above the bike should RPM up better than that. It has pretty good idle so check the pilot jets to see if they are clean and maybe raise the needle by lowering the clip to add more fuel in the mid range.
good luck,

·
Master of the Electron
15,685 Posts
Your battery is old.

Your carbs are dirty.

Your valves need adjustment.

Check for exhaust leak due to loose manifold studs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts