Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 raptor 660 with some mod's dynojets stage 2 148/146 jets with Lil k and n filter plus a full DMC exhaust and I got dusted by a new Suzuki 450 with a bore kit one size higher...he was gettin me by 2-5 quads and a stock Polaris 500 was beating me too ... What mod's can I do tO make my quad faster

·
Registered
587 Posts
The 148/146 jets is that how you jetted the left and right carbs? Usually the right carb jet is bigger i.e. stock is 140/145. I just jetted my friends 660, his mods are K&N intake and DG full exhaust. I jetted it at 160/165 with 25 pilots, 4 clips down on the needle and turned the fuel screw out 2 1/2 turns.

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
I assume the jets you are describing are DJ jets? If Mikuni they're waaaay too small.

Also, the larger is in the left carb, right? It should be.

As Rap660 said, with your mods, I'd expect to need 160L/165R Mikuni mains, 25 pilots and DJ needles with clip about 1 notch below center. There is no good crossover reference between DJ and Mikuni jets... but DJ 148 is close to a Mikuni 160, if I recall.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
More around a 165.

Heck when i ran stock carbs on my motor in my sig i only use a DJ 155/160.

How much money do you have to spend is a better question?

Cam, Piston, Port job, Valves, Springs all add up pretty fast.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
I have a 01 raptor 660 with some mod's dynojets stage 2 148/146 jets with Lil k and n filter plus a full DMC exhaust and I got dusted by a new Suzuki 450 with a bore kit one size higher...he was gettin me by 2-5 quads and a stock Polaris 500 was beating me too ... What mod's can I do tO make my quad faster
From what I gather, you are using a K&N air filter plus an aftermarket exhaust system, this will give you a little more power but never enough to match or even come close to the 450 class bikes, the jetting you are using should be close if you have the stock air box and it is still intact............
Should you have an airbox without the lid or an afermarket style air box eliminator, then your jetting is way out and you will need aftermarket needles to add more fuel in the midrange and top end throttle area......

·
Registered
123 Posts
I used to live in that area, it's a lot of flat ground, not to many good hills to race up. Willy's right, they're designed with fast/high revving motors for tracks. if you wanna beat them, find a steep hill to take them up, the big bore's torque should help you win. Yea?

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
:D That would make it too easy, the 3 pluggers sure make a difference..........and you dont even need to stroke it.............:)

More than words can say, & others go Huuu ??? WTF was that :)
Thanks a lot, Willy... NOW, I just can't get the image out of my mind..... Banshee2Raptor, kneeling out in his garage, stroking his 3 plugger Raptor... "Goooood Rappy, niiiice Rappy". :wow:

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
thanks a lot, willy... Now, i just can't get the image out of my mind..... Banshee2raptor, kneeling out in his garage, stroking his 3 plugger raptor... "goooood rappy, niiiice rappy". :wow:
:d:):d:):d

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
whats a 3 plug head?

also to the OP if you through on some different sprockets it'll help out quite a bit too!

i'm personally running a 12 tooth in the front (stock is 13) and a 44 tooth in the back (i believe the stock size is 39 tooth?)

oh, and not to thread jack but what the smallest front sprocket you can run on a 660?

·
Registered
123 Posts
The 3 plug head is exactly what it sounds like, 3 spark plugs in the head, not to mention a huge chunk of effing awesome.

40t is stock rear sprocket size on the 660's

·
Registered
267 Posts
Dont feel bad. I got my ass handed to me by a 13 yr old on a LT-R 450. He wasnt stock though, k&n filter with no lid, cherry bomb fuel management, baffle taken out. Not to mention he weighed 145 lbs and riding a quad that weighs 70 lbs less than my raptor PLUS my big 245 lb ass... He got me by 1.5 lengths BUT if i were to race him to top speed it would be a different story. We only raced a 250 ft track... On the other hand, my raptor is 10x more comfortable to ride compared to the 450's... Ill take a little slower vs a quad that beats you half to death.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How the heck are you losing to a Polaris? The 450 I can understand, but the polaris? Come on bro! I've got an 05 660 with pro design intake, dynojet kit, dynatek programmable ignition, 12t sprocket, dp clutch, and full trinity stage 4 exhaust. I can run with my buddy's pred 500 with 560 big bore. You should be able to take a stock one with what you have done.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Thanks a lot, Willy... NOW, I just can't get the image out of my mind..... Banshee2Raptor, kneeling out in his garage, stroking his 3 plugger Raptor... "Goooood Rappy, niiiice Rappy". :wow:
:lol: :lol: That was funny QM, kind of mean, but true... Yeah, the 3pl. head is a big power booster, but it is still looong way to get all of the hiding power out of the 660 motor... The 3pl. is only one of many steps to the true 660 beast... So, that's why the 3pl. is stuck on my mind for past 3-4 months now, and I think it is the last mode I want... or need... So, I think the next engine tear down my head will probably be heading to Willys shop...

·
Master of the Electron
15,074 Posts
Mean? Me? I sure hope, and don't think, B2R took it that way.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Mean? Me? I sure hope, and don't think, B2R took it that way.
Who me, get offended..NO no no:)...Its all in good fun,besides whats a forum without a little friendly busting between members..
Keep up the good work QM..
Back to the OP , If ya want to woop a 450 (ANY model) you haft to think outside the box...
Good luck to ya. & don't feel to bad , the 450's are a pure race machine,unlike our Raptors witch were built more for trail riding, but can be modded to take on almost any machine.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts