Raptor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2003 raptor 660 just rebuilt the car and I’m trying to get it running right it seems that it will idle fine and rev up in neutral and if I put it in 1st it will go at 1/4 throttle but after it hits that mid range rpm it studders and sounds like it’s hitting rev limiter can’t figure out the problem

·
Registered
751 Posts
Which needle clip position?
If it's 4, I'de try 3 and see if it improves.

Stock air filter with lid, correct?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have it on the 3rd clip stock air filter with lid on. stock jets slip and a slip on exhaust I’m at sea level idk if it’s my jetting or a wire

·
Master of the Electron
14,895 Posts
Jetting... change needle position.

What happens in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They all hit that rev limiter sound after I hit the throttle full blast in all gears what should I try changing the needle too or should I bump up the main jet I have it on the third clip

·
Registered
751 Posts
Go up to the 4th and see if it changes.

Just remove the front fenders and lift the tank to access the carb caps too, no need to remove the carbs themselves.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I moved them to the 4th like you said it is alittle better when I open the choke it barely studders at all what does that mean

·
Registered
751 Posts
It means you're going the right direction.
Pilots control idle to 1/4 throttle
Needles control 1/4 to 3/4
Mains control 3/4 to wide open
and there is some overlap between them.
I tried jetting a friends bone stock 660 years ago, and it never wanted to act right. We pitched the lid, added an aftermarket foam filter, put in a Dynojet kit and bigger pilots, and never had a problem.
Long story short, sometimes finding the correct jetting can be frustrating.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went to my local shop and picked up some bigger jets I’m gunna install them tonight and tomorrow I will see how it goes and get back to you with more info thank you for the help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The guys at the shop are telling me that it could be dirty carb even though I cleaned it and rebuilt it is this true ?

·
Registered
751 Posts
The guys at the shop are telling me that it could be dirty carb even though I cleaned it and rebuilt it is this true ?
Dirty can always make it run bad.
But if it's clean, it's clean.
Incorrect jetting and needle positions will also always make it run bad.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dirty can always make it run bad.
But if it's clean, it's clean.
Incorrect jetting and needle positions will also always make it run bad.
Ok I’m gunna check at like 1 when I get home and see if it made a difference I went up one size on both carbs

·
Registered
751 Posts
Ok I’m gunna check at like 1 when I get home and see if it made a difference I went up one size on both carbs
I was thinking it was All stock, but with a slip on, yeah, you need to go up one or 2 sizes on the mains.
Even though it seems to run ok at lower rpms, I'de back out another half turn on each air screw and see if it improves any.
Just make one change at a time so you know which change did what.
I think the bigger mains will improve it too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey so after trying to run it with the bigger jets for some reason it sounds like the engine is pushing air back into the carb like puff puff and it’s idling really high and if you hit the gas it will hold high rpm so idk what I did please help

·
Registered
751 Posts
Needles in 4th position now?
25 pilots air screws still 2.5 turns out?
I would go to 3 and see if it improves.

What size mains?
Done clear tube yet?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have stock pilots in. I tried it with the 4th clip and 3rd clip the bike is still idling high and holding high rpm when I hit the gas and it sounds like it’s getting air pushed back into the carb from the motor making the carb almost stall out

1 - 20 of 50 Posts