Raptor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got a 01 raptor 660. Pulled it off truck let it set a minute, checked the oil and was right at min, so added almost a qt To get it right. Started kinda hard and only wanted to run with choke halfway on, ran it for a while stalled it. Checked the oil afterwards and was like almost half inch over the max. Now no start just turns over and back fires. Dropped oil, changed plug and same thing. Any ideas what to do next?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Two separate issues. First should check the oil after it has ran few minutes to get an accurate reading. You likely overfilled it. The only running on choke and now backfiring is a different issue. Check compression, air leaks around carb, and carbs are clean. Is the gas in good shape?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. I haven’t had bike long and seen afterwards that supposed to run it and check again. Would the engine be turning over if I had damaged it with too much oil? I had it at a shop recently they cleaned the carbs and rebuilt, drained gas and all but tank does have some debri in it wondered if that clogged a jet up again.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Doubt the over fill caused anything, but obviously get it at the right level and keep an eye on things. I would check the bowl on the carbs to make sure nothing is in there again. Do a compression check if possible and would check timing and valve adjustment as well. Backfiring could be a few things.

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,598 Posts
Flush the tank and hoses, then clean the carbs again.

Drain the oil from the tank and motor. Clean the filter on the lower oil line. Put only 2qts of oil in, split between the motor and tank.

Overfilling could cause the motor to hydraulic lock, especially if the filter is clogged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts