Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Raptor 660 a few weeks ago
Yamaha Racing

I did these things to clean it up:

Oil Change/Filter Change
K&N filter clean and oil
Spark Plug Change
Coolant flush and change

When filled with fuel, the carbs would dump so I sent to a mechanic who rebuilt the carbs

He started it and it revved and rode around fine

I took it to the trails and reversed it away from the trailer and began trying to ride but it would ride to maybe 5-10mph and then backfire and bog

There was/is a loud clicking from the front of the quad when it bogs (you may be able to hear it in the video)

I looked on the forums and everything was pointing to the reverse or the parking brake sensor

I did everything I found online:

I grounded the wire from the reverse sensor (white clip under the right side)

I disconnected the white clip from the parking brake sensor at the clutch

I clipped the green/yellow wire at the CDI

Here are a few videos to help:

Before any of the wiring modifications:

After the PB Delete:

After the Reverse and PB Delete:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mines doing the same thing, though I guess my 05 doesn't have the PB sensor.... If I figure anything out I'll chime in.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mines doing the same thing, though I guess my 05 doesn't have the PB sensor.... If I figure anything out I'll chime in.

Thank you

Hopefully we both find a solution to our problem.

I was stuck at the trails for 3 hours and was unable to ride at all :cry:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tested the stator and it is showing good voltage

I am testing the voltage regulator tonight

Does anyone know if the clutch sensor mod will help at all? I see many recommendations to do this but I don't see how it will affect this issue...

Thanks guys

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a good question. I hadn't heard of that before now. I guess if the clutch sensor interrupts power to the coil at all it could make a difference, but I'd bet it only interrupts the starter relay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good question. I hadn't heard of that before now. I guess if the clutch sensor interrupts power to the coil at all it could make a difference, but I'd bet it only interrupts the starter relay.

Yea, I just know that many people recommend doing this mod when you do the parking brake one and I wasnt sure if it was just a convenience thing or if it helped.

I dont hear a "rev limiter" style sound. More like the quad is stumbling on itself as in it is being flooded.

Let me know if anyone has any idea of where to look.

Thank you

·
Master of the Electron
14,516 Posts
Does your reverse light work properly?

It's not the clutch switch... all it does is prevent the CDI from putting 12V to the solenoid if your not in neutral without pulling the lever.

What is 'white clip under right side'? This has nothing to do with the reverse switch. It is a green with white stripe wire that is pressed onto a stud in the reverse switch which is left side just in front of the output sprocket. THis needs to be GROUNDED to eliminate the reverse limiter. If your reverse light works properly, this is probably not your problem either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does your reverse light work properly?

It's not the clutch switch... all it does is prevent the CDI from putting 12V to the solenoid if your not in neutral without pulling the lever.

What is 'white clip under right side'? This has nothing to do with the reverse switch. It is a green with white stripe wire that is pressed onto a stud in the reverse switch which is left side just in front of the output sprocket. THis needs to be GROUNDED to eliminate the reverse limiter. If your reverse light works properly, this is probably not your problem either.
Hello Quadmaniac,

I mispoke when I said left side.

I grounded the correct wire and now the reverse light does not come on.

After some testing I realized, I dont think it is a limiter. I heard others hit a limiter and it consistently bounces off of it. For mine, it seems to bog down almost as if it is getting flooded with fuel.

The quad idles amazingly. But when throttle is applied, it revs and then backfires hard and bogs. If I stay on the throttle, it will stall. (see video)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To add more detail, I had the carb rebuilt and tuned and it seemed to run fine at the shop.

I stood it vertically (without shutting off the fuel petcock if that matters) and put it on the trailer.

When I got to the trail, I stood it again when getting it off the trailer (again, forgetting to shut off the fuel)

I backed it away from the trailer in reverse

When I pulled in 1st gear it immediately began falling on its face - it would accel relatively normally to 5 or 10mph but then almost hit the brakes and I would jolt forward thrusting me over the handlebars

It was very consistent in when it would bog down

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im thinking it may be carb related.

The guy that rebuilt it for me used a chinese rebuild kit. The jets from that kit were used.

Does the sound in the video sound like it is running lean?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Fyi, the reverse rev limiter isnt like the traditional rev limiter your used to hearing at the top of redline where it bounces off and revs back up making that NENENENENENENENENENENENE sound. Lol. It will just bog down exactly like you said, but, basically even a blip of throttle will bog it down and yours seems to rev higher than that. That being said, i agree that its probly carb related after that chinese rebuild kit. Most people recommend a dynojet stage 2 kit with the needles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fyi, the reverse rev limiter isnt like the traditional rev limiter your used to hearing at the top of redline where it bounces off and revs back up making that NENENENENENENENENENENENE sound. Lol. It will just bog down exactly like you said, but, basically even a blip of throttle will bog it down and yours seems to rev higher than that. That being said, i agree that its probly carb related after that chinese rebuild kit. Most people recommend a dynojet stage 2 kit with the needles.

Just ordered the dynojet stage 2

Praying this is what it needs

·
Registered
58 Posts
I posted another thread about mine, but just to update, mine is definitely the carb. I believe it was jetted way too rich for my altitude and mods, the pilot screws were absolutely torqued into the carb body and stripped, likely to make it run, and the diaghram sealing surface is damaged.

Hope your carbs are rebuildable, mine sure aren't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I posted another thread about mine, but just to update, mine is definitely the carb. I believe it was jetted way too rich for my altitude and mods, the pilot screws were absolutely torqued into the carb body and stripped, likely to make it run, and the diaghram sealing surface is damaged.

Hope your carbs are rebuildable, mine sure aren't.

I actually ordered a replacement carb as well as the dynojet kit

I am hoping to have to do minimal to no tuning once it is received.

(The carb was like $40 on ebay)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I actually ordered a replacement carb as well as the dynojet kit

I am hoping to have to do minimal to no tuning once it is received.

(The carb was like $40 on ebay)
Cancel that order!!! The cheap chinese carbs are no better than the chinese rebuild kits. Lots of members have had a miserable time trying to tune those damn things. Even if the carb you have now is a chinese clone, replacing it with the same thing isnt going to help anything. Please, for your own good, stop buying chinese motor parts. If you want to buy chinese footpegs and levers and nerfbars or whatever, fine. But not motor parts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cancel that order!!! The cheap chinese carbs are no better than the chinese rebuild kits. Lots of members have had a miserable time trying to tune those damn things. Even if the carb you have now is a chinese clone, replacing it with the same thing isnt going to help anything. Please, for your own good, stop buying chinese motor parts. If you want to buy chinese footpegs and levers and nerfbars or whatever, fine. But not motor parts

:/ From what I read, most people say they work fine once you replace the jets...

Is this not the case?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Not the same quad, but I put a Chinese carb on a grizzly 600, thing never would tune right. Rejetted with oem Jets, still wouldn't work. Replaced all the internal components with oem, still wouldn't work.

Sourced an oem carb from eBay and it finally ran right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not the same quad, but I put a Chinese carb on a grizzly 600, thing never would tune right. Rejetted with oem Jets, still wouldn't work. Replaced all the internal components with oem, still wouldn't work.

Sourced an oem carb from eBay and it finally ran right.

Im not 100% sure if what is on it is OEM or not

It is gummed up pretty good even after a cleaning by me and a shop

I think I will try the ebay one and if it works, great, if not ill grab an oem one :/

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
10,598 Posts
Yes, send them back. Theres a reason they are cheap. Jetting and machining isn't consistent and will have you pulling your hair out. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts