Raptor Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might seem like a bit of a novel so I apologize in advance, I just want to address all the possible issues. I have an 03 660 I have been working on for a while now. I also have an 04 I am rebuilding and a parts engine, so I have a plethora of parts. It will start and sounds like it is running good, but only when it wants to. It went from starting every other time, to maybe once every 30 tries, to now not at all. I am on the third sator, second cdi, and have gone so far as opening up the entire wiring harness. Once I got the harness open I replaced about 2 feet of shredded wire. It was the black wire that runs off of the ignition coil. The wire was smoked from the coil to the harness and from where it splits at the front of the harness and runs to the back of the harness. The engine is cranking fine, and it is making an almost burping like sound, as if it’s getting compression but doesn’t want to fire. The last time I had it running, it ran for a solid 20 minutes or so and sounded good. It has not yet been riding since the rebuild so god knows what other issues I will still run into. After the initial engine rebuild, the wiring harness was put on incorrectly and smoked the ground cable from the sator plug to the harness, that has since been replaced. Looking for any advice I can get. My next steps are going to be to get as close to a factory wiring harness as I can find, and a new cdi. I have tried running it with the brake sensors plugged in and unplugged but both give the same result. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or might know what is causing this issue. Thanks

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Do you still have spark when it's failing? You need to stop throwing parts at it without more detailed troubleshooting... it's cost prohibitive!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum!

Do you still have spark when it's failing? You need to stop throwing parts at it without more detailed troubleshooting... it's cost prohibitive!
Sorry it took me so long to respond, I have been on the road for work. It is still getting spark when it is failing.

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
If it has good, continuous spark then the stator, CDI and coil are all working properly...

SO, the only suspects left are cam timing/compression, fuel/air mixture or fuel delivery!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It’s getting fuel, and I have double checked the timing marks. I haven’t checked the compression. I’ll see about picking up a tool to check it. Also I’ll look into the fuel air mixture. Thank you for the advice.

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
Spray some starting fluid into the carb throats. If it briefly starts and runs on this then carbs/proper fuel delivery is the issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did the compression test and it is right at 90. It has started before with a shot of starter fluid but then dies out, that was right after I replaced all of the gaskets. I just tried cranking it a few times after I did the compression test and it is no longer starting with a shot of starter fluid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is probably nothing but not sure if it is an indicator something is wired wrong. One head light comes on when it’s in low beam and the other comes on in high beam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also just noticed there is a thick orange gel like substance coming out of the carb over flow.....there was a lot more of it, that’s after I wiped it off.

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
I don't see the 'goo' in your pic. How long have the carbs sat unused?

If you have compression and spark (check again) then it should run briefly on starting fluid... Then it's carb cleaning time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update, cleaned the carbs again still nothing. I took the air box and intake tubes out and sprayed some starter fluid in there. It backfired so loud I thought the neighbors were going to call the cops for shooting a gun off lol. After the back fire I immediately thought timing so I checked the timing again, it appeared to be one tooth off so I got it set back in place tonight and will try to fire it again tomorrow.

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
What was wrong with the CPS? You said you had spark...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure haven’t had time to dig into it, but after replacing it the problem seems to have magically gone away. It is starting and seems to be idling with no issue now.

·
Master of the Electron
15,545 Posts
I hate magic... sooner or later it bites you in the butt!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts