Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, So I just recently bought a 05 Raptor 660. I am now facing this problem where Whenever I start my Raptor up It Idles fine but then I move the choke all the way to the right and then It starts wanting to turn off. I recently just rode It today and It feels like the throttle Is a little lazy and the Rpm's get really high when I'm riding. It was working fine the first week I bought It then It just started facing problems. Please help and If you need anymore Information just comment!

Also this raptor has a new engine that was installed on 2020 with a stage 3 cam and big bore was used only 6 times before i bought It. It has a new carb with bigger jets and the air filter hasn't been changed recently. I did forget to mention I did tweak the Idle screw on the carb and see If It changed anything but I think It just made It worse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sound like the carbs need cleaned. I change the gas, filter, and fuel line and clean inside tank good when this happens to mine. Also check your intake boots for tears or cracks, especially if it doesn't have factory clamps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, So I just recently bought a 05 Raptor 660. I am now facing this problem where Whenever I start my Raptor up It Idles fine but then I move the choke all the way to the right and then It starts wanting to turn off. I recently just rode It today and It feels like the throttle Is a little lazy and the Rpm's get really high when I'm riding. It was working fine the first week I bought It then It just started facing problems. Please help and If you need anymore Information just comment!

Also this raptor has a new engine that was installed on 2020 with a stage 3 cam and big bore was used only 6 times before i bought It. It has a new carb with bigger jets and the air filter hasn't been changed recently. I did forget to mention I did tweak the Idle screw on the carb and see If It changed anything but I think It just made It worse.
And stay away from ethanol fuel if possible and DEFINATLY stay away from ANY ADDITIVES unless you enjoy cleaning jelly out your carbs. Your better off with straight pump gas trust me on this.

·
Master of the Electron
15,977 Posts
Agree that carbs most likely need a good cleaning. Usually the small, fuel wetted jets and passages start to plug up with gunk left behind from evaporating gasoline. I suggest disassembly, uing any spray carb cleaner, and diligence at spraying out everything except rubber components (which can be damaged by carb cleaners). Then, whenever you park it for a while, turn off the gas and let it idle til it dies - this eliminates that source of fuel - no more evaporation, no more gunk left behind.

Your one statement that has me concerned is " the Rpm's get really high when I'm riding." Are you saying that the engine RPM increases but the quad's speed doesn't? This could suggest a slipping clutch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agree that carbs most likely need a good cleaning. Usually the small, fuel wetted jets and passages start to plug up with gunk left behind from evaporating gasoline. I suggest any spray carb cleaner, disassembly, and diligence at spraying out everything except rubbr components.

Your one statement that has me concerned is " the Rpm's get really high when I'm riding." Are you saying that the engine RPM increases but the quad's speed doesn't?
Well yeah, the RPMs Increase and the quad speed goes up. But lm saying that when I first got It. You would have to shift less faster and now that I moved the screw for the cold start idle I have to shift way faster. It’s kinda weird it feels like It has less power then before. Unless it’s just me.

·
Master of the Electron
15,977 Posts
So, you changed the fuel screw settings and it runs worse... Have you considered setting them back to the original setting?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, you changed the fuel screw settings and it runs worse... Have you considered setting them back to the original setting?
Yeah that’s what I’m actually doing right now, I’m trying to feel of how It was before. This all started when I was using It then out of nowhere the throttle started being unresponsive and it started idling at very high rpms and the choke was all the way to the right we adjusted the choke to take it back home and it worked fine the throttle was responsive then we did troubleshooting and we adjusted the screw and it worked fine after but it just started doing it again yesterday and it felt even more weird. I’m gonna take it for a spin a bit later and see how it does. I still haven’t cleaned the carb yet I’m planning to do that this week.

·
Master of the Electron
15,977 Posts
So, your second description of symptoms doesn't jive exactly with the first... how about a comprehensive, chronological description ovf your history with this machine - what symptoms it has/is showing, what and how you've attempted to repair, and what the results were.

Reactions: Crosbys660

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, your second description of symptoms doesn't jive exactly with the first... how about a comprehensive, chronological description ovf your history with this machine - what symptoms it has/is showing, what and how you've attempted to repair, and what the results were.
Alright so let me recap. So I bought this machine not too long ago. Maybe like a month ago. It came with a new 2020 Engine, a New carb, big bore, stage 3 cam. It was only used 6 times after they added the new engine. When I first took It out It was working fine, Had good power and the shifting and speed was fine. Then after I didn’t use It for like a week straight. I just used it again maybe like 3 days ago and It was acting abnormal. There was a bunch of smoke coming out the exhaust when I revved It but I didn’t think much of It, I took it out did a couple turns and then I went fast (like 30 mph only) And my shifting was fine. Then When I stopped and put it in first Gear The throttle started being unresponsive. It would go but the Rpms would go really high and it would move Really slow (5mph) then I stopped It. I revved It a bit and it sounded like it was drowning so I kept It on, i also noted when I tried going In first gear whenever I left off the clutch slow and gave it gas It turned off on me everytime until I adjusted the choke Then what fixed it temporarily is I adjusted the choke I moved it to the left a bit then it started going back to normal. (Normal RPMs and throttle being responsive.) so I took It back home and I searched up like what It could be and It said the Carb, so I adjusted the Screw on the Carb and moved It to the right only a bit maybe like half a turn, then i took It out and It started working fine again. I thought that fixed It but Then I left it sitting for 2 days or so, and I took It out again. And It did the same thing but this time it was weird. It had A great Idle but then when I moved the choke to the right It wanted to turn off and throttle wasn’t as responsive again so I moved the screw half a turn to the right again and that fixed It but then It started acting weird when I was riding It. Like the the rpms went to high when I pushed the throttle and I would have to shift faster now. I found It weird and now here I am trying to fix it again but with the help of others that know more about It then me.

·
Master of the Electron
15,977 Posts
then It started acting weird when I was riding It. Like the the rpms went to high when I pushed the throttle and I would have to shift faster now.
You need to find a different way to explain this one in detail... The RPMs increasing, quickly requiring an upshift IS the goal of acceleration. Unless the engine RPM increases, but because the clutch is slipping the quad's speed doesn't increase, this does not properly describe an issue.

BTW, WTF is with your screen name?

• Haha
Reactions: morphrider

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You need to find a different way to explain this one in detail... The RPMs increasing, quickly requiring an upshift IS the goal of acceleration. Unless the engine RPM increases, but because the clutch is slipping the quad's speed doesn't increase, this does not properly describe an issue.

Eh well, I mean I’m kinda stuck on finding another way to explain this. And also I’m gonna try to clean the Carbs first before I actually go into more detail and start trying to troubleshoot more. Oh my screen name I got It from a In law. Haha

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Alright so I just tested It out today. So this Is what’s happening. While I’m using It. It runs fine and all but then when I stop and put It in Neutral It starts revving Up by itself. (With the choke to the right) and to fix It I moved the choke to the left to the middle then It revs down. It seems like the throttle Is stuck or something It’s really odd. And whenever I push the clutch in to stop it starts revving up too and then when I let go it goes back to normal.

·
Administrator
9,550 Posts
I don' have a 660, but when the choke lever on the bars is to the right, doesnt that mean the choke is activated and leaning it out, causing the high RPM's and when you slide it to the left it turns the choke off and should idle normal when warm?

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha Raptor 660R
52 Posts
Alright so I just tested It out today. So this Is what’s happening. While I’m using It. It runs fine and all but then when I stop and put It in Neutral It starts revving Up by itself. (With the choke to the right) and to fix It I moved the choke to the left to the middle then It revs down. It seems like the throttle Is stuck or something It’s really odd. And whenever I push the clutch in to stop it starts revving up too and then when I let go it goes back to normal.
sounds like 1 of 2 things, 1) the throttle cable/idle screw is not adjusted correctly, causing it to rev too high while in neutral, 2) your pilot jets are not adjusted rich enough, causing it to lean out while at idle in neutral, thus causing the idle go up in rpms, both of these issues, you are temporarily solving by adding fuel with the choke circuit. so confirm that the idle is approximately 1400 rpms when fully warmed up in neutral, adjust your idle screw first (left side of bike where the throttle cable goes into the carb), if that doesnt work, check your pilot screws (small screws on the bottom of the carbs - they have to be removed to easily do this - adjust to 2.5 turns CCW (lefty loosey) from fully seated (barely snug down - they are needle valves and can be damaged easily).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
sounds like 1 of 2 things, 1) the throttle cable/idle screw is not adjusted correctly, causing it to rev too high while in neutral, 2) your pilot jets are not adjusted rich enough, causing it to lean out while at idle in neutral, thus causing the idle go up in rpms, both of these issues, you are temporarily solving by adding fuel with the choke circuit. so confirm that the idle is approximately 1400 rpms when fully warmed up in neutral, adjust your idle screw first (left side of bike where the throttle cable goes into the carb), if that doesnt work, check your pilot screws (small screws on the bottom of the carbs - they have to be removed to easily do this - adjust to 2.5 turns CCW (lefty loosey) from fully seated (barely snug down - they are needle valves and can be damaged easily).
Hi, So actually I got the Idle perfect again. The carb has new Jets and carb Is tuned correctly. The carbs was just dirty from the inside that’s all. I got it all sorted. Thanks for responding !

1 - 20 of 22 Posts