Raptor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 660 a couple weeks ago. The first week or so that I had it the reverse rev limiter was giving me problems so I grounded the wire for the limiter and everything was fine. Then I changed the oil and cleaned the K&N filter and re-oiled it. After that the bike started randomly spiting and sputtering. It starts really easy and idles great. It will run fine for a few minutes all the way from idle to full throttle. Then it will sputter like crazy when I touch the throttle. It will do that for a few seconds then clear up and then a few minutes later it will do it again.

So after reading some stuff on the forum, I decided to remove the parking break sensor and change the spark plug. That didn't work. So now I'm thinking maybe I got some of the oil from the K&N inside the intake hose and it got sucked into the carbs? I'm gonna try and clean them out as soon as I have a chance but I was wondering if any of you guys have any other ideas as to what it could be. Something else I could check maybe? I have searched the forum and I have seen some things that look similar but not really what my problem is. Thanks for any help.

·
Master of the Electron
15,529 Posts
Some oil in the carb throat won't cause any issues.

Did you unplug the parking brake switch connector? Did you seal the green/yellow side of the connector to prevent water and dirt from shorting across to the black pin? It's easier in the long run just to cut the green/yellow wire up near the CDI.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I thought the oil in the carb was a shot in the dark. And yes, I unplugged it from the connector up by the radiator but I didn't seal the connector because I was just trying to trouble shoot at this point. I can take it for a 2 minute ride on the road in front of the house and it will act up. I plan to cut the wire near the CDI next time I work on it.

I used the "How To" you made to do the mod to keep the reverse light and remove the limiter but it didn't last long. One of the pins broke on the relay the day after I did it. It was very helpful though and I might try it again after I get this issue fixed. Right now I just have it grounded, so no reverse light.

·
Master of the Electron
15,529 Posts
yeah, the relay pins are the weak link - you can reinforce them and take the load of vibrating wires away by putting a 'blop' of silicone seal or 5 minute epoxy over each pin and wire(make sure a lot is in contact with the plastic case) AFTER you verify everything works. This distributes the load down to the relay's case and takes it off the pin.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
An over oiled air filter can cause your problem, but it should be very consistent and get better slowly after running for a period of time, if the ambient temperature is around freezing, maybe this excess oil is causing a plugged filter situation............

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try cleaning the filter again too. It seems like it might be getting worse, lasting a little longer than it did at first. The temps around here have been between 60 and 80 lately.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I fixed my problem. Still mot sure exactly what it was though because I cleaned the air filter and cut the parking break limiter wire at the CDI and then took it for a ride. It runs great now! I'm kind of leaning toward the air filter though because it feels like it has a bunch of extra power now. Thanks for all of your help with this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts