Raptor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone, I am new here. I just picked up a 01 raptor 660. Had some issues which most i fixed. The problem I am having is with the rear brakes not working. When I opened the brake reservoir to check the fluid I noticed a black rubber thing in there that I took off and can't put back in. Any ideas on why its there? Or how to put it back in? Thank you in advance

·
Registered
31 Posts
It is a seal to keep the fluid in the reservoir. It should just slide back in. You may have to squish the bottom a little to get it back in. Make sure you do not fill it with fluid past the top mark on the side of the reservoir.

·
Registered
31 Posts
You should flush the rear brake first. Then fill the reservoir to the full line, then put the seal back in and put the cap on. You will be good to go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You should flush the rear brake first. Then fill the reservoir to the full line, then put the seal back in and put the cap on. You will be good to go.
Hey bro do I need to put the black rubber seal back in? Or can I go with out it. It doesnt want to go in

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you don't put in in, then fluid will leak out of the cap. If it will not go back in, then I would get a new one. It should slide right back in. I have never had a problem like you are describing in all my years of working on bikes. If someone had it before you, they may have put the wrong one back in at some point.

If you have a dealer close by, see if they have one. If not, here is where you can order one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, it seems like it is too wide, I squish it and slide it in and doesn't want to go in. I'll see if I can get some pictures

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,250 Posts
It's a gasket to keep air and dirt out, but flex with the fluid movement. It goes in the cap, then seals the top of the reservoir.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When I try an out the cap on it does go in because the seal is not seated properly. Even if i put the seal on the cap. Am I doing it wrong or can it be that I need a new one?

·
I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!
11,250 Posts
Spray some brake cleaner in a small container and soak the rubber for about a half hour, then let dry overnight. It may shrink up. If not you need a new one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is not going to shrink up. It is way to big. It is not even close to being the right one. Time to go get a new one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spray some brake cleaner in a small container and soak the rubber for about a half hour, then let dry overnight. It may shrink up. If not you need a new one.
Thanks for the suggestion bro, it actually shrunk it up, I was able to put the cap on

1 - 13 of 13 Posts