Raptor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing my headers yesterday, but when I tried to loosen the 2 nuts that hold the headers into the engine block it snapped off, being that it was rusted. Now I need to know how to change the stud that sticks out of the engine block that secures the header. Is it just threaded in? And can I just twist it out then replace with new studs? I don't know if I used the correct terms for what I am trying to describe, but thats the best I can do. Thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes, its threaded in. This happned to me, only it broke off flush with the head. I had to drill it out and use an easy out. If yours is sticking out, you could use a stud remover or vise grip if you're lucky. If that doesn't work, you'll have to do what I did. Just be careful not to drill in to the head, get a straight shot at it and be sure your first hole is centered good.  They make kits with reverse twist bits and easy outs that fit the drill size, takes all of the guess work out of it. Worst case scenario, pull the jug and take it to a machine shop. Good luck.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot bro. Its still sticking out so I guess I will try the stud remover first. Same rules apply right lefty loosey righty tighty?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yup, righty tighty, lefty loosey. Also, before you try to remove the broken stud, CAREFULLY apply some heat to the area using a propane torch or a heat gun. This will help the aluminum head release the steel stud. One other trick, smack the end of the stud with a hammer, like you are trying to pound it in further, not from the side. Remember you are dealing with aluminum, so just a couple light smacks, don't clobber it.

****Use these tips at your own risk if you think you are qualified.****

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.