Raptor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am working on a customized shortened swinger that will be around -1 to -1.5 when all said and done. The trick is I want it to look fairly close to stock. As a result I cut it my the rear receiver and am going to weld the joint just like it was when it came from the factory.

The thing that I was wondering is what type of aluminum the swinger is made out of or what filler people have used in the past?

Here are some pictures of how it is turning out for those curious.

Process of cutting the profile I wanted was drill holes all around and use a chisel to knock the rest out. Still need to finish grinding everything all smooth. Cutting took me around 2-3 hrs to get it apart without rendering it useless.

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So I am working on a customized shortened swinger that will be around -1 to -1.5 when all said and done. The trick is I want it to look fairly close to stock. As a result I cut it my the rear receiver and am going to weld the joint just like it was when it came from the factory.

The thing that I was wondering is what type of aluminum the swinger is made out of or what filler people have used in the past?

Here are some pictures of how it is turning out for those curious.

Process of cutting the profile I wanted was drill holes all around and use a chisel to knock the rest out. Still need to finish grinding everything all smooth. Cutting took me around 2-3 hrs to get it apart without rendering it useless.

Here is my -3.75 swinger with a no linkage setup............

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Whats the advantage of having a shorter swingarm? Just curious. =)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
So it helps turn tighter then? Makes sence i guess. Thanks =)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Whats the advantage of having a shorter swingarm? Just curious. =)
This raptor would spin the tires at 50 mph on the oval track. When I shortened it, it would transfer the more weight to the rear tires and hook up better..........

Now launching though is tricky.........:D

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Oh I see. I bet that does help alot. I bet its a bitch outa the gates though. Gotta sit on the gas tank to keep the front down? =)

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
Oh I see. I bet that does help alot. I bet its a bitch outa the gates though. Gotta sit on the gas tank to keep the front down? =)
2nd gear launches at full throttle and hang on. It usually yanks the front end violently after 30 feet just before you shift into third.........:D

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. The way my powerband hits I get a ton of wheel spin.

Willy - what did you weld yours with 4043, 5356, 5556, other?

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
2nd gear launches at full throttle and hang on. It usually yanks the front end violently after 30 feet just before you shift into third.........:D
That sounds way fun. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I'll have to check and see if I have any. If not I'll have to get some. All I think I have is 4043 right now.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol. I know someone that works for AlcoTec which is the worlds largest aluminum filler metal producer. Something tells me that if I really needed it he could get me some :D.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Swingarm Shortening Mod UPDATE

So I have been working on this on and off for the past couple weeks and finally got around to welding it together today. I used the 5356 just like WillyKiller recommended and it welded just fine. After discussing it with my brother we decided that the extruded housing that holds the axle tube was more than likely a 6061 with a similar property cast piece for the shock mount.

He said a 4043 could probably be used (better puddle fluidity) but would not provide the strength that the 5356 would have. This is why I opted for the 5356.

During the process of modifying I also removed the broken chain tensioner bolts and drilled/tapped the holes for a helicoil. I ended up using a helicoil for a 3/8" bolt just because of easy availability of different sizes/shapes of botls. I would recommend to anyone trying this to do it like I did and drill/tap BEFORE welding BUT install the actual helicoil AFTER welding. In my case I did have to run the tap in to clean the threads a little but it is much easier to do if the threads are already pre-existent.

By installing a stainless steel helicoil and 3/8" SS socket head capscrews, I don't think I will ever encounter the problem of the tensioner bolts getting stuck ever again. The swingarm is almost exactly 1" shorter than stock and will hopefully get installed next week for testing.

Attachments

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
So I have been working on this on and off for the past couple weeks and finally got around to welding it together today. I used the 5356 just like WillyKiller recommended and it welded just fine. After discussing it with my brother we decided that the extruded housing that holds the axle tube was more than likely a 6061 with a similar property cast piece for the shock mount.

He said a 4043 could probably be used (better puddle fluidity) but would not provide the strength that the 5356 would have. This is why I opted for the 5356.

During the process of modifying I also removed the broken chain tensioner bolts and drilled/tapped the holes for a helicoil. I ended up using a helicoil for a 3/8" bolt just because of easy availability of different sizes/shapes of botls. I would recommend to anyone trying this to do it like I did and drill/tap BEFORE welding BUT install the actual helicoil AFTER welding. In my case I did have to run the tap in to clean the threads a little but it is much easier to do if the threads are already pre-existent.

By installing a stainless steel helicoil and 3/8" SS socket head capscrews, I don't think I will ever encounter the problem of the tensioner bolts getting stuck ever again. The swingarm is almost exactly 1" shorter than stock and will hopefully get installed next week for testing.

Be prepared to hangon with the shorter swinger, we tried a -2'' and then went to the -3.75'' but even with the -2'' the front end is LIGHT, so you can imagine the -3.75 swinger, it was crazy light, in fifth gear it was no problem to do power wheelies, just roll the throttle and HANGON........:D:D

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. I like the uncontrollable feel but went only -1" because I still want to be able to trail it. There is a flat track where I am going to be moving to but I'm not sure whether or not I want to invest that much time/money into racing. For me the fun is ripping trails and stopping in the middle of no-where for a while.

The swingarm bearings were shot and are supposed to come in on monday. I probably won't be installing the new swinger to test until thursday or friday.

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update

So I got new bearings and the swingarm installed today.I had to take several links out of the chain and unfortunately didn't get to ride it. I did take before and after pictures with my phone of the two swingarms for comparison.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Took the bike out and tested it. The back end bites in a little better. Personally I think the bite is good. I did notice that it was a little more squirrely trying to keep it going straight but it was raining so that might be skewed. I like how I can actually get traction to wheelie on demand now.

When jumping, the back seemed much more forgiving to kicking if you don't play the throttle just right. I have a small area out back that I can get air and I used to not hit it over 4th gear because if the throttle was not just right the back could kick really hard. Yesterday I was hitting it in 5th with no issues. I could tell the kick was there but due to less leverage on the swinger it couldn't pull the back of the bike up so much as to make me think I was gonna die.

The other big thing I noticed was the turning. By shortening the swinger it really lays sideways into the corner and I can take them much faster 3rd vs 2nd gear on many. I do need to adjust my suspension because the inside front corner really wants to come up now. Overall I love it and we will see what happens in different terrain.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
When I went to the -3.75'' swinger I got rid of the linkage and used a shock from an R6 for the rear so I have a direct shock, still have lots of travel with a great ride.

The traction is just wild and you get quite the rush from hanging on......... The front wheels are there just to TRY to steer and keep the bike of the ground........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts