Raptor Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a couple of months ago i bought a 04 660r that was wrecked. its got aftermarket parts on it, lowered, fmf slip on, pro taper bars, ect. it was smoking pretty bad and it needed righ tside upper and lower a arms and tie rod and a tie rod end, i picked it up for $1000. when i got the a arms put on and ready to go i rode it a little, i mean why not. so me and my dad tore it down and found out it had a 12:1 wiseco piston, so we ordered rings and slapped them on and put a new YBN timing chain in it, we put it all together and ran fine, wasnt riding hard at all and it just died, so we tore it donw and found out timing chain slipped off and snapped it in many spots around the chain, which means it got to tight. so we ordered everything neccesary to fix it and we ordered a oem timing chain this time and got it together and went riding yesterday (6/13) and i let my buddy ride it and he was riding it and it shut off and cracker a little corner off the jug where the timing chain slot is. not sure why its happened twice, my dad something about the static tiing might be off but i dont think thats what is, my dad is a mechanic and has been working on ADRL pro extreme cars and everything u can imagine so we know what were doing just trying to figure out WHY its happened twice.
if anybody has any ideas let me know. and alos if anybody knows where a cheap jug is forsale besides ebay let me know

·
Registered
521 Posts
firemann was selling a jug for $75 (ive bought a few things from him) just check the b\s\t section on here.
are you putting the valve cover on before or after the timing chain tensioner. if youre putting it on after, the back of the cam is gonna be lifted up from the tension on the chain, then when you put the valve cover on, its gonna stretch the chain from all the added pressure

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
Are you installing the timing chain tensioner LAST (after the head cover is on and torqued down) with the ratcheted rod fully collapsed AND without the center bolt and spring... only installing them dead last? If you don't you will over-tighten the chain and it will break (and so can the cam, cam journals, etc.).

·
Registered
521 Posts
Are you installing the timing chain tensioner LAST (after the head cover is on and torqued down) with the ratcheted rod fully collapsed AND without the center bolt and spring... only installing them dead last? If you don't you will over-tighten the chain and it will break (and so can the cam, cam journals, etc.).
pretty sure i gouged the hell out my cam journals from doing just that...realized it the next time i had the valve cover off.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
a couple of months ago i bought a 04 660r that was wrecked. its got aftermarket parts on it, lowered, fmf slip on, pro taper bars, ect. it was smoking pretty bad and it needed righ tside upper and lower a arms and tie rod and a tie rod end, i picked it up for $1000. when i got the a arms put on and ready to go i rode it a little, i mean why not. so me and my dad tore it down and found out it had a 12:1 wiseco piston, so we ordered rings and slapped them on and put a new YBN timing chain in it, we put it all together and ran fine, wasnt riding hard at all and it just died, so we tore it donw and found out timing chain slipped off and snapped it in many spots around the chain, which means it got to tight. so we ordered everything neccesary to fix it and we ordered a oem timing chain this time and got it together and went riding yesterday (6/13) and i let my buddy ride it and he was riding it and it shut off and cracker a little corner off the jug where the timing chain slot is. not sure why its happened twice, my dad something about the static tiing might be off but i dont think thats what is, my dad is a mechanic and has been working on ADRL pro extreme cars and everything u can imagine so we know what were doing just trying to figure out WHY its happened twice.
if anybody has any ideas let me know. and alos if anybody knows where a cheap jug is forsale besides ebay let me know
Sounds like improper cam chain installation procedure to me, if it isn't done properly, you will have problems as previous posters have said.........:)

Wiseco only makes an 11-1 piston...............and stock compression.............

·
Registered
521 Posts
uh oh..is this the first wrong thing ive heard willy say.
wiseco does 11:1 and 9.9:1...stocks 9.2:1...stroke of 84mm.
if you have a 12:1 piston, its probably a CP or JE...although i dont see any of them with a 100.5 bore. so you either have a 11:1 Wiseco 100.5mm or a CP\JE 12:1 102mm.

·
I am unique
22,621 Posts
uh oh..is this the first wrong thing ive heard willy say.
wiseco does 11:1 and 9.9:1...stocks 9.2:1...stroke of 84mm.
if you have a 12:1 piston, its probably a CP or JE...although i dont see any of them with a 100.5 bore. so you either have a 11:1 Wiseco 100.5mm or a CP\JE 12:1 102mm.
Isnt that what I said, an 11-1 piston and a stock compression piston..........

·
Master of the Electron
15,629 Posts
9.9:1 ... not stock.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts