Raptor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently changed a bent valve and putting it back together I can not get the timing chain to stay tight. I lined up the timing mark(I) for TDC. then I put my cam shaft in with the holes facing up and the marks on the sprocket are even with the head. I put the timing chain tensioner back in and put tension on the chain. I bolted down the camshaft cover and gapped my valves. and as soon as i rotate the crankshaft the timing chain busts loose and has no tension on it what so ever. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

·
Registered
13 Posts
im about to do an oil change tomorrow and i bought 2 quarts and a new oil filter. do i need to buy more oil? what is the capacity?? thanks!

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Set the cam and chain to the timing position, install only half of the tensioner, leave out the spring and it's bolt. Holr the cam in the bearing journal, reach into the tensioner with whatever is handy and push it till the chain is just snug. You can let go at this point, tension won't change and the cam stays in the journals. Put a finger or two on the cam and turn the motor over two turns, reinspect the timing marks and chain tension and your done.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts